Chapter One

Raven

A week into school, I was already bored. The school was hell for me.

And worse, Mr. Applebottom was going to pair us for a photography project. To him, Monday was for matchmaking.

We got to class early, Kat and me. Immediately after the bell went off, Mr. Applebottom stood up.

I stared at Kat, hoping she was reading my mind. Like the last session, I earnestly prayed we'd be paired or "matched," as Applebottom puts it.

"So urhm, good morning, you all. Today is matching Monday as usual, and I've paired everyone with someone for the project."

I zoned out, just for a while. It's not that I hate photography. It's Applebottom I hate—sort of.

"I'll start with Kat and Morgan, Keisha and Alberto, Julia and Chris, Raven and..." honestly, I didn't care who he'd pair me with, well until after he called the name.

"Raven and Janelle, Sarah and Hamilton, Jacob..." I'd zoned out after he called Kat, but then pairing me with my sworn enemy was something I could not ignore.

Janelle, seriously though, Applebottom... I had to wait a few minutes so he could get done with calling names. I didn't let his butt get to his seat before raising my hand, wanting his attention.

"Yes, Grey. What can I do for you?" I smirked,

"you can't pair me with Ontario. I don't want her as a partner. I want a change." He glared at me. Unlucky me.

"of course, I can, Grey. I'm your teacher. And in this class, I'm the boss. I have every right to pair you with whoever I want. And you both remain partners until the end of senior year."

I widened my eyes in shock. Janelle turned to glare at me. I shrugged, turning my attention to my sketchbook. Heaven knew I couldn't, wouldn't last minutes with her. I'd die.

Throughout Monday, from our first class until the last lesson, I was down, really down.

Kattie even made things worse, and she rubbed salt into my wounds. Who did school projects with their enemies? Me.

I could never talk to her. How was I supposed to start a conversation with her? Kattie wasn't helping at all.

I had to wait for Kattie after school, and I was her ride home. I'd end up killing her, maybe.

And even after her practice, she wasn't exhausted enough. She kept reminding me that I was paired with Janelle for photography.
I didn't hate photography, and I loved it. It was fun for me. But Applebottom, I hated him. I knew I did.

After I dropped Kat at her house, I ended up driving to the old children's park. I hadn't been there in ages.

I got home late, as usual, mum and dad weren't home. Mum was out of town for a meeting, and so was dad.

It was just Jeffery and me at home. Jeffrey was our butler. He'd been with us forever.
Many of my friends always thought I was the rich spoilt brat. Maybe I was, or perhaps I wasn't. But one thing was true. I was a rich kid. But I didn't let that get in my head.

Who knows, it might be one of the possible reasons why most of the kids at school hate me. Not that I care, though. I watched the commercials on TV quietly. I could hear Jeff talk on the phone,

"she isn't fine. I'm sure of it."
A random pause.

"Yes. She isn't saying anything when I ask. You both be planning on returning soon?"
A quiet sigh.

"Okay, ma'am. I'll let her know."
I didn't bother to find out who it was. I slept off on my favorite blue couch.