Chapter Twenty-four

Raven

"Have you been in a relationship with someone else before?"

Janelle's question made me chuckle for a while. I wasn't sure I'd answer her, but I found myself answering her anyway.

"I've been in relationships before." I answered.

"What were they like?" she asked again.

I paused this time. What was this? Was she jealous? I was completely confused.

"Roshni was tall and skinny, and unlike most Indian girls her age, she had the body of a model, I met her at my aunt's wedding in India. There's Jim, he was Canadian, he died a year ago. And then there's Paula, she was annoying though."

Of all the things I said, she only heard the word India.

"India? What were you doing in India?"

"My aunt's married to an Indian, Dev Patel. He's kinda cool."

"Oh, I get it. But, do you and Roshni still talk?"

I closed my eyes for a few, "Nope. We haven't talked since I turned seventeen."

She nodded, "I'm sorry about your Canadian boyfriend though."

I chuckled, "seriously? Jim was a crazy teen. I dated him so he could tick that off his bucket list. And he was kinda cute, had freckles and wore contact lenses. He died with a smile on his face." I shrugged with my right shoulder.

"Did you really like him?" she asked again, her face almost in a pout.

"I did. Like I said, he was cute, tall and skinny. And, I never pitied him once. He lived a happy life."

She smiled instantly, curling into a comfortable position.

"Random girls at school spread rumors about you, most of them claim you dated them and stuff. It's weird, but Ren believes the gossips."

Much to her surprise, I burst out laughing. I knew they spread rumors about me, but I didn't think it would be that serious.

They said stuff like me and Kattie dating secretly, or how my parents threatened the principal so I could get good grades. But I never expected this.

"Are you serious? Wait! And stuff like what?"

"Uh, I don't know how you'll take this, but Theresa, the president of your "All Girls Fan Club"? She told everyone you both had  a-ahm..."

I laughed, the deep throaty sound reverberated on the walls of the hospital room. "Tell me, I won't eat you up. C'mon..."

"Okay. She uh, she told everyone you sorta had sex with her. And uhm, after that, most of the girls who had an extreme crush on you started spreading stuff like that too. So, technically speaking, you've had sex with almost every girl in school who has the hots for you, except you really didn't have sex with them."

I got up, stretched my right arm, before combing my fingers through my hair. My legs weren't aching anymore and most of the bruises were almost gone.
"I don't know what to say. As it is, I'm even surprised that I never heard stuff like this at school. This is bad, I feel like a kid who's been put under parental guidance and is not allowed to watch the explicit content. Ugh!"

Janelle laughed, the hearty sound bounced back every time she slowed down. She stopped a while, placing her hands on her chest to calm herself down.

"You're not mad that they spread rumors about you? You're only worried about that?"

I shrugged. "Hey! What's the point in it? You hear rumors everytime, but a rumor without spice or juice is bland. And I never heard anything about mine."

Janelle continued with her laughter, the sounds reverberating in my ears. I gave her a toothy grin,

-I'm glad you're happy now. Few days ago, you looked different. You seem to be glowing now.

°°°°°°

It's not like I could not walk though, it's just that I had a mum, a dad, two uncles, two cousins and grand parents who were a bunch of worrying people.

Mum pushed the wheelchair while dad carried my bag. It was my grand parents anniversary and even though I pretended not to be excited, I was.

I thought of the food. Nope, nothing else, just the food. I couldn't put up with the annoying distant relatives that would attend, so I really didn't care. But I cared, if Janelle's family didn't attend or if the food was not good enough.

Mum had said something about a tux, but I really wasn't paying attention to any word she said.

I took my time to glare goodbyes to the nurses at the hospital, especially nurse Gerald. She was the only one who annoyed the fuck out of me.

When we got to the car park, I got up suddenly, "I can't take y'all wheeling me around, it's just my hand that's in a sling!"

"Kiddo? What's your problem? Doc asked you not to stress yourself, you still need rest."

My stomach grumbled, it sounded like a lion's growl,  "can you hear that? It means I'm hungry, people."

Grandpa squeezed his face, trying to hold back his laugh and grandma had to pinch him in a scolding manner.

"She's right. We can't be wheeling her everywhere, she has two legs. She can walk." Grandma said.

"I second what Grace said," grandpa offered.

I attempted to smile, cringing inwardly at the thought,

"Thank you old people, I needed that big support." They both shrugged.

Dad placed his hand on his hip, standing like some body model posing for a photo shoot, he'd been girly almost all his life.

I rolled my eyes at him. Even Kattie looked like she was going to burst into bubbles of laughter.

"Where's the car? Who's driving? I want to go home, I've been having jello for the past couple of days. Do y'all know how bland hospital food taste?"

Everyone shrugged, even little Paris. "Ugh. Can we stop at McDonald's? I want Burger and fries."

"No, can't do." Dad replied.

I raised my right hand in surrender and then dropped it, following dad's lead to the car. Mum called shotgun and I was stuck in the back seat with Kattie.

"Hospital food's nice, huh?"

I smirked and elbowed her, she muttered cuss words no one would hear and then glared at me.

"You're an idiot. You didn't tell me mum had gotten a wheelchair because Greene told her I needed rest." I whispered.

"They asked me not to tell you. You should see the cute ride Mum got you." She smirked back at me.

"Ooh, a new car? My birthday is months away. Is it a bribe or what?"

"No, see? You're the bigger idiot between us both. You always wanted one. It's a Ducati. She got you the 2012 Ducati 696 model."

"Ooh lah lah... That's this year's new model, darn! I'm taking Janelle for a test ride. What'chu think?"

Kattie glared at me again, not the jealous kind of glare. "You're supposed to act surprised. They don't know I've told you."

I rolled my eyes, "Fine. I'll act surprised. Just whatever sinks your boat."

"You're evil!" I smirked, "Yen yen yen, you've known all your life."

I smiled at her, "but you also know I love you, right?"

She nodded, smiling back at me before messing with my hair.