Chapter Four

Janelle

After leaving the pizza place, I took the most extended way home. I knew very well that it was scary, but for the moment, I wasn't scared.

I'd told Raven things I preferred to keep to myself these days. I thought about her more often. And I had weird dreams about her. All of this was just weird.

I wanted so bad to let her know I'd always wanted to be friends, but that never happened. We had many horrible experiences, and I didn't want to even think about it.

I'd tried my best to be the nicest I could be, but Raven was just otherworldly, sticking to her hatred for me.

I would take the next street to get to my neighborhood, but something or someone pulled me in the dark, their hand over my mouth while the other hand pulled me into the bushes.

He forcefully pushed me against a tree, and his hands still clasped around my mouth. I fought to force myself out of his grip, kicking around as hard as I could.

I didn't bother to know who it was, and I just wanted to get home to my family, safe.

I continued kicking nonetheless. As he faced me, I noticed he was wearing a mask, covering half his face while he left my imagination running wild with the possibilities of what he could do to me.

I got a great chance and kicked him, whoever he was in the groin area, over and over again as he fell on the floor. I ran as fast as I could after he fell.

It was 7 pm when I finally got home. Mum and dad were home. And as if just on cue, Mum popped out of the kitchen.

"Why are you back this late, honey? You gave us the chills. We were worried about you."

I looked at her, face stained with tears, and she figured something was not good. I couldn't hide them after all, not after what I'd managed to escape.

"Oh my God! What happened to you, sweetie? Come here,"

I got engulfed in a warm hug, and it was soothing.

"mum, som... someone attacked me on my way back home... I managed to escape. I promise I don't know who it was. I was so scared, and I kept thinking about what he wanted to do to me." I said in between tears.

Mum did a thorough scan to make sure I wasn't bruised or hurt before calling my dad out of his study room.

They would wake Brit up, and if she found out something like this happened, she'd cry more than I did.

I told them about my fight with Raven like I always did when I was a kid. And after the battle, I had needed to clear my head, so I walked back home. I told them what happened and how it happened.

Dad made me promise if I didn't go to school in my car, I'd get a friend to drop me off at home or come back with the bus. He almost called the police. But I didn't want that. I just wanted to forget this ever happened.

I wasn't sure that it would happen ever again, and besides, I wasn't expecting even sure Raven would ever accept dropping me off at home. I mean, she didn't even like me at all.

The rest of the night after dinner, my thoughts were only about Raven. I'd suddenly forgotten about my attack as if thinking of her brought me relief.

And I wondered if she would ignore me at school. I wasn't sure if I could take that.

The only bruise on my body was from the firm grip of whoever my attacker was.