Chapter Twenty-five

Raven

Half the family members were already at my house, no sight of Aunt and Uncle Patel. That meant no sight of Roshni. Phew!

"What? Looking for someone?" Kattie asked, sticking to my side like glue.

"Nothing. I just thought Roshni would be here by now. I'm glad she isn't. Janelle sorta knows about her now and I didn't want any sort of awkwardness."

Kattie nodded, understandingly. She helped take off the sling and then she let me stretch the arm a little. I had to wait a few minutes for the barber mum had called. He took his time with my hair when he finally showed up. Kattie said the haircut was really nice, but I ignored her.

"When's the party starting?" I asked.

"Uh, I'm not sure. But I think people will start getting here by five pm." Kattie said, fumbling with the tie she was trying to knot.

"They should have done this at a hotel or some event place."

"Yeah. I guess. Uh, so about the reason why you were in the hospital for days, Mum and the dads are pressing charges, for attempted rape on Janelle and attempted murder on you."

I stared at Kattie for a few seconds, I pulled my hand through my mop of full jet-black hair, sometimes I forget it's the reason for my name, Raven. The dads was the name Kattie and I used when we referred to both our fathers.

"It's a good thing then. When's the court case?" I asked.

"I don't know yet. They haven't said anything about it. But I think there's something else they're hiding. Have you seen the increased number of security guards on the property?"

I was going to ask about that. "That's a good point Kat. The police didn't interrogate me much and when he wanted to say something else, Greene stopped him."

Kattie shrugged, "just get ready. They'd prolly be waiting down stairs for us."

Something about what Kattie said made sense, Jones, the detective in charge of my case didn't say anything when I asked about the stalker. He only said he name was Jace Hemingway.

-Such a fine name for a stupid criminal. He's a totally insane human being.

I huffed as I fumbled with the towel, I couldn't use much of my left hand and I was beginning to get tired of using just the right one.

-I'm effing ambidextrous! And I can't even use my left hand thanks to him. Ugh!

I had to call Kattie so she could help bandage my shoulder and also help me dress up. At times like this, I was grateful to have a sister like her.

As she helped me put on my suit, I told her about the rumors at school. She was frustrated, her face squeezed in anger and the vein on her forehead felt like it would pop.

"Seriously? Those are stupid lies. Well, at least I have a head to squash on Monday."

I chuckled. She was still helping with my tie when mum opened the door.

"You girls ready?" she asked, standing at the doorway looking like some sex goddess.

"We are. Just fixing her tie. I still can't get it done, think you could help?"

Mum nodded, taking goddess like strides towards me. "It's hard most times, you know. I'm cut between calling you a handsome boy or a beautiful girl. You're just like your dad. Completely like him, I love you this way, and I'm proud of you."

Mum pecked my head and pulled me in for a hug. I could hear the words she whispered, but I kept them to myself.

"I love you too, mum."