Chapter Twenty

Janelle

Raven's full pink lips were pale and drained of colour. She looked like Sleeping Beauty still. I never thought her lashes were that long or that her brows had the perfect curve.

Some how, if she ever wore make up, she'd have looked like a Barbie doll. I took a mental note to never mention that to her.

I sat down on the side of the bed that had enough space, brushing her fingers with mine before placing them on hers.

She had the perfect baby face. I smiled for a second, like Raven's perfect face seemed to make me forget why she was on the hospital bed in the first place.

"You have to wake up Rave. There's so much I want to say to you. Thinking about it makes my heart thump faster than it should. And I feel like fireworks when I think of you."

I sighed, I couldn't tell how long she would be in this state, a day or two maybe? I just wasn't sure. Mum and Dad had left a little early with Bri.

And Raven's family had gone home. They would be back the next morning. It was past midnight when I fell asleep. I was completely exhausted.

I woke up the next morning in an odd sleeping position. My neck hurt from it. The nurse who I think woke me up just stood there, smiling at me.

"Good morning. Hope you slept well?" I perceived sarcasm. Because it was obvious I wasn't looking like someone who had a good night rest.

I was going to say -yeah, I slept well, ain't that obvious? But someone opened the door.

Raven's parents stood there. And behind Mr Grey was an old man. They walked in at the same time. An old lady walked right next to the old man.

I recognized them almost immediately. They were Raven's grandparents.

"Janelle, you're here? I thought you'd have gone home by now. Well, Raven's grandma and grandpa are here. You've seen their pictures before, right? Ray has their pictures in most parts of her room."

I smiled at both her parents, rubbing my left eye and nodding,

"It's nice to finally meet the awesome grandma and grandpa. Raven was very excited when she heard you were coming back home. Well, I fell asleep here. And I couldn't leave Raven like this, knowing fully well she's here cause of me. Thought I'd stay with her for a while."

"You've done well enough then. You should go home and rest."

That voice sounded just as soft as Raven's. It reminded me of the first time she talked nicely to me. And it came from her grandma.

"Raven would have wanted that too. Go home child. We'll let you know when things get better here. Right Jon?"

grandpa Grey asked Raven's dad. He nodded slightly.

I left the room with him. A driver was already waiting to get me home.

Bri was the first person to engulf me in a tight hug when I got home. Then mum and then dad and finally, we ended up in a big family hug.

"Go shower, and then come down and eat breakfast.  We were all waiting for you." mum said. I shrugged, running upstairs to my room.

I stayed in the shower for quite some time, letting the hot water dance it's way down my body, as if washing off the memories of yesterday. Dressing up quickly, I ran down stairs. I only realized I was hungry when I saw breakfast piled up on the dinning table.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Dig in!" I chuckled when I heard mum say that. Sitting down next to Mum, we said grace and I finally got to fill my empty stomach.

Two hours after breakfast and I was yet to get a phone call or anything from Raven's family. And my family got to watch me pace back and forth, my face squeezed in the weirdest way possible.

"C'mon now, Ellie. They said they would call and I believe they will."

I looked from my mum to the wall clock, and then back to my mum.

"It's almost twelve pm. I haven't heard anything yet. I'm worried."

"She'll be fine. Just sit down and calm down too. Okay?"

I nodded and sat down next to her and that's when the phone rings. I let mum answer the phone, I was already nervous, answering the phone myself would worsen it.

Mum talked to the person on the other line quietly, she even smiled, that one relieving smile where all the stress and fear was taken off your shoulders and you know every thing would be just fine.

I bit the insides of my lip. And even though mum was doing the talking, I was still a little scared.

Mum got done with the call, turned to face me, Bri and dad.

"I got good news..."

she paused for dramatic effect, and then smiling again she announced her good news,

"So, Raven woke up an hour after you left the hospital and she asked for you first."

I stopped chewing the insides of my lips, stared for a minute at the floor.

I wanted to scream in happiness and just do some dance of some sort. I was just so happy, I felt my heart could not contain it.

Bri tugged at my sleeves, "shouldn't we go see Raven now?" she asked.

"Yeah, we are totally going to see Raven right now." I said.

While dad drove us, I stared out of the window. And for the first time since yesterday, I was genuinely happy and Raven was the reason for that happiness.