Chapter Twenty-six

The waiter that called Roshni pulled her into a big room far far down the hall.

Old stuff were kept there, obviously the store room, Roshni thought. But why had the strange waiter pulled her there?

"Who're you? Take your mask off. I'm skilled in Karate and Judo. Better beware!" She said, as she took a pose that meant she could attack at anytime.

The waiter only smirked. Slowly pulling off his mask, he revealed his face.

"Don't worry. I won't hurt your pretty face. I won't make it look like mine."

He grinned, showing his face that was dangerously scarred in places, evidence of fights he'd been in all his life, but there was just this one scar, still fresh. He rubbed the scar lovingly.

"My name's Jace. Jace Hemingway. And I'm here to help you get what you want. I know you want her, that girl, Raven. But, do you know who did this to me? It's your Raven in there. She did this to me. She's a feisty one."

Roshni couldn't understand at all. This man looked like some obsessive psychopath killer. Every glance at him smelt like murder and drugs and destruction.

He squeezed his fist into a tight ball. "Janelle and I used to love each other until she came along. I want Janelle back and I know you want that idiot back too. We can work together, I have the perfect plan to pull them apart. All I need is your help!"

He looked creepy, the thought of him creeped Roshni out. He grabbed her hand, squeezing it, causing Roshni to squeeze her face in pain.

He chuckled dryly, staring at Roshni's scared face. "I know you can help. Are you willing to? I get my woman and you get your -eh, whatever she is to you."

Roshni nodded forcefully, "Sure, I'll help you. I -I promise. Please, just let my arm go!"

He pushed her away as he rubbed the scar again. He scared Roshni so much so she didn't bother to stand up after he'd pushed her down.

He turned to face her again. "I have your contact, so if you ditch me halfway through this plan or tell anybody at all, I'll end your life, slowly and painfully. You hear me?!"

Roshni nodded again, she watched as he slowly put on the mask again. And after that, he snarled at her, like a wild dog before opening the door and walking out.

"Oh shit! What kind of problem have I gotten myself into? This nonsense craze for Raven has landed me in trouble!"

Roshni pulled at her dress frantically. She'd had to call her parents and tell them she'd be staying around much longer than she had planned to.

At least she didn't ruin the designer dress she'd bought for a lot of money. She scanned the dress a second time before getting up.

She huffed as she left the store room. Tapping on the dial pad on her phone, she waited patiently for a few seconds before a voice came through from the other line.

"Hello? Roshni?" Roshni rolled her eyes at the sound of the voice.

"Mum? I'm sorry I'm calling at such ungodly hour. But I needed to let you know I'd be staying longer over here."

"Oh my dear, that's fine. I'll let your father know about it tomorrow morning." Her mother replied.

Roshni smiled. Whatever it was that Jace was planning would work, but she had to play low-key.

She groaned softly as her mother kept rambling on and on continuously. She'd had enough.

"I'm sorry, Mum. But I have to go now. We'll talk when next I called."

Her mother's reply was sad, it was a pity they had never been close, even though Roshni ran to her for every little thing.

The line went dead. Roshni threw the phone back into her purse and found her way back to the ballroom that was almost empty.

She retraced her steps, turning back until she found the way to the huge front door. The Grey family were wishing people going back home a safe drive.

She watched with envy as Raven gave Janelle a tight hug and then a peck on her lip.  They were both looking so lovey-dovey, she hated the mere thought.

When she had first met Raven, she had thought she was a boy. Raven had the bluest eyes she'd ever seen, jet-black hair that was a rare thing at where she came from and a smile that could break even the strongest resolve.

She had given her a tour of the city within the first twenty four hours after Raven's arrival with her family. She'd nagged her for wearing henna designs just because her aunt had asked her to.

"why would you dress up like a boy and apply henna designs like you were a girl? I thought you didn't like girly things."

Raven had not answered her. But she had never liked when people labeled her.

"I'm a girl, I'm allowed to wear henna. Plus Aunt Saralyn asked me to. And thirdly, I don't like people labeling me. I'd like it if you don't either."

Roshni had returned a shrug as a reply. Every day with Roshni felt better than the previous one and she found herself falling into an abyss she'd never be able to pull herself out from.

When she had told Raven the three dreaded words, Raven had told her she felt nothing, nothing at all except that they were friends and she liked her as a friend. Roshni had forced a kiss on her, but Raven never returned the feeling.

She had begged for Raven's attention, they had kept a long distance relationship, but she knew very well that Raven didn't feel the same way about her. The breakup was hard, it took a toll on her.

But now, now maybe she could take her fate into her own hands.