Chapter Thirteen

Raven

I did a quick check as I stood at the door to Janelle's house. I was a bit antsy. I tugged at my sleeves. I had picked a jean jacket to wear, just in case I got cold. Now, I played with my wrist watch and the gold chain that hung loosely around my wrist.

I think I stood at the door for at least two minutes, making sure I didn't look stupid before I pushed the button on the doorbell.

It didn't take two seconds before the door was flung open. A little girl stood there, holding a teddy bear in one hand. She looked like a smaller Janelle. Exactly the same.

"Hi, I'm Raven. I'm here to see Janelle." The little girl stared at me, as if in deep thought.

"Oh, you must be Raven. Ellie was talking about you. Do come inside." she smiled big, just like how Janelle did when she was excited.

I walked through the door and she closed it behind me, leading me to her livingroom. "Have a sit-" she pointed a spot on her sofa, "that's my favorite spot. You can sit there. I'll go get Ellie for you." Then she jogged towards what I believe would be their kitchen. 

I could hear faint laughs and chuckles from the kitchen. I heard footsteps coming towards me, but I didn't move my eyes from the TV. Like I said, I was antsy. I was scared of what her parents would think of me.

"Why don't you take off your jacket. It's warm inside the house." I knew that voice. Heard it a year ago at school. I swallowed hard.

I stood up, turned to face Janelle's mum. I tried to smile, "hi, Mrs Ontario. Nice to see you again."

She smiled back at me, stretching her hand out for a handshake. I took it in mine, but I didn't last two seconds before I pulled out.

She reminded me of the jacket and so I took it off. She smiled then. "You're welcome here, don't worry. You seem a little fidgety." I nodded, wearing a small smile. "Have a sit, be comfy. Ellie will come meet you soon. She's actually making casserole with her dad. And, Brit will keep you company." she said.
"Ma'am," I called as she turned to walk back to the kitchen. She turned back suddenly, "yes dear? You want something?"

Now, I was a bit nervous, "Uh. Not exactly. I just wanted to talk about last year. I'm really sorry. I have no excuse for what I've done to Janelle and I was the biggest jerk she's ever known. But I'm really sorry about everything..." she nodded her head a couple of times.

"I know, Kiddo. We always do bad things that we regret someday. At least you learned that what you did was wrong. So, I have no issues with your being friends with her. But if you ever hurt my baby, I'd kill you." I knew she was dead serious even though she was smiling, so I offered her a smile. She left me seconds later.

Little Bri dragged me upstairs. She wanted to show me her room. And all this while, I'd not seen Janelle. I didn't ask too.

Brit's room was all pink and sparkly. From her bed, to her wallpapers, they were all pink. God! The pink was alot. She sat down on her bed and patted the spot next to her. I joined her.

"We change the wallpaper every year. This year, mum thought experimenting with pink all over my wall would be nice." she grumbled.

"thought you liked it." I said, still mentally counting all the pink stuff I could see.

"No. I don't like pink. My favorite colors are green and blue. Cause I think they're perfect. Not pink. I look like some barbie doll."

I chuckled. "You're a feisty one. You're very different from Janelle." she smiled, and I realized she only had a one-sided dimple. "That's a cute dimple you got. I like one-sided dimple."

She looked at me, wide eyed. "Really? Lots of people never ever tell me if it's cute or not."

"Why? That's rude. I think if someone is cute, especially an adorable child like you, they should be told they're cute. Or don't you agree?" She smiled again.

"I agree with you. And oh, I like your hair and your eyes. And, I think you're very nice too." I smiled, I liked this kid already.

Janelle's mum came to get us for dinner. "I see you two are getting along quite well." I smiled, putting the little girl down. We were playing pirates. She was a captain and I was the pirate. At least we didn't mess my new button up.

We walked down the stairs, Brit holding my hand tightly, as if I'd let go anytime soon. My eyes were getting a little itchy, and I ignored it. I knew this would come with a side effect.

We got to the dinning table, Brit offered me a sit and sat down next to me. I fought the urge to scratch my eyes as she told me what was on the menu for dinner.

"Are you alright?" I turned towards the kitchen, my eyes catching a glimpse of Janelle. Ugh no. I could only see blur. When I didn't answer, she walked towards the table. "I asked if you were okay?"

There was concern, and a feeling of happiness laced in her voice. "I am. But, I can't see your face clearly. So I'm not okay. I need my glasses." She looked at my eyes, paused a bit.

"Did you come with them? Are they in your car or something?" she asked again. "No. No I didn't bring them. I didn't think I'd need them."
She looked at me, she was mad now. I could sense it, feel it.

"Give me your phone. I'm calling your dad."