Chapter Thirty-nine

Raven

The night before prom, I went with Kattie to Morgan's house. Morgan's parents were well to do and a lot more modern than I thought. The house had security cameras everywhere outside. I was nervous. It felt like I was meeting Janelle's family again.

Before we could ring the doorbell, someone opened the door. I wanted to cuss, but I bit my tongue hard instead. In front of us, was a tall man, with really brown eyes, long curly hair and full beards. He looked like a hipster.

"Hi. Uh, who're you and why are you standing in front of my porch?" He asked, his eyes darting from Kattie to me.

"Good morning, Mr. Bloom. We're only here to see Morgan. She wasn't in school today and I was really worried about her."

"And you're?" He asked again.

"Her friends from school." I answered.

"Okay, come in." He moved aside for Kattie and I to go in. We walked past him, slowly. He closed the door and led us through the small passage to a sitting room with brightly colored loveseats and couch scattered neatly.

"I'll go get Morgan. You can sit-down."

We both watched as he left. Morgan pulled me to a love seat and we sank down into it. I was nervous. What if her father hated it when she had friends over? Oh goodness! We should have thought of this earlier.

We heard quiet footsteps and I felt Kattie squeeze out the small life I had in my hands. I stayed put though, not removing my hands from her tight grip. She stopped only when she saw Morgan and I pulled my hands out of her clasps.

Morgan locked eyes with us for a few seconds before her dad left us alone. She gave Kattie a hug and I had to pretend I was busy with my phone. When they were done talking, they shared a kiss and I suddenly missed my girlfriend.

On our way back home, Kattie became curious. I could tell from the way she was playing with the radio.

"What the hell are you doing? Leave that alone." I said.

She turned to stare at me, "have you told her yet?"

"Told what to who and why should I be telling things to people?" I asked.

"Don't be an idiot. Have you told Janelle about Paris?"

I gripped the staring of my mini truck hard, "I haven't, okay? I don't want to bug her. Maybe after grad? I don't know."

"You should though. Don't hurt her. I mean, you did that a lot all these years instead of realizing you loved her. And now that you know, better not lose her."

I smiled at Kattie, "yeah, I know. Thanks Kat."

She gave my hand a squeeze.

-

Before prom night, my mother had dragged me and Kattie to the spa. She made sure I did everything, from getting a massage to getting a pedicure. I couldn't count how many times I rolled my eyes, I couldn't even talk to Janelle, because someone thought it wise to drop my phone inside their purse and lock it up.

I only had two hours to get ready, and a good part of it, I spent trying not to crease my pants and fixing my tie. I was nervous, my hands were a bit shaky. I was still trying to fix my tie when two wrinkled hands gripped mine.

"You really don't need a tie to look hot, you know."

"I don't know, gran. It's a formal occasion, right? Am I supposed to look hot?" I asked.

She chuckled, "yes. I want every eye turning towards you. So, you're not going to wear that tie. That's it."

My grandma sat down on my bed and watched as I tucked in my white shirt and cuffed my sleeves. She didn't want me using a tie, so, I left the first five buttons of my shirt untouched. Then she made me wear my suit. My hair was already done, I'd gotten an undercut, my dark curls had been styled into a fringe.

I stared at myself in the mirror for a few seconds. I looked completely different.

"You look sexier, don't you think?" Gran said.

"Yeah, I do. Thanks gran." I gave her a small peck on her forehead. She smiled at me, brushing nonexistent dusts from my suit.

"Now go break hearts, I want pictures too." Gran added. I chuckled and winked at her.

I got done with getting ready and headed downstairs. Everyone was there, I had to roll my eyes.

We took pictures. Then pictures of me and Kattie. When they finally let us go, mum called me back to give me the corsage I forgot. We haven't gotten to prom and I'm tired already.

We took dad's SUV. First stop was Morgan's house, then Janelle's house. I was freaking out, my palms got sweaty and Kat had to squeeze some reassurance into me.

I had to wait an extra five minutes before Janelle walked down the stairs looking like a goddess. My breathing stopped, suddenly it was hard to swallow.

"Mi Diosa..." I muttered quietly, still staring at her.

"What? Did you say something?" Bri pulled at my pinky finger that she had latched onto the moment I walked in.

"Yeah, yes I did. I called your sister a goddess. You know why? Cause she looks like one right now. I'm not sure I'd be able to take my eyes off her." I knew fully well, Janelle was within earshot. So I could tell without looking that she was blushing.

Janelle was wearing a beautiful blue off-the-shoulder ballgown, the satin fabric was designed with beads and her hair was in a twisted messy low bun. She looked like a fairytale princess, straight out of a movie. She wore the necklace I'd given her.

"Hey..." I said.

"Hey, you..." She replied.

I was smiling now, "are you ready?"

"Yes, I am." She was grinning ear to ear.

"Well then, take my hand."

Janelle placed her hand on my own and I helped her walk down the last step. Then Sarah made us take pictures again. I was very certain she and mum would have a lot to gossip about.

We said goodbye to her parents and headed for the SUV. When we got in and she'd said hi to Kattie and talked about Morgan's gown for a good three minutes, Janelle turned to me.

"I've never seen anyone wear a suit with casual lace up sneakers. You make a whole fashion statement."

I chuckled. Mum had been a little mad when I picked the casual leather flat shoes, until she realized they were really nice on me.

"I know. But it matches with my white shirt, same way my suit matches with your gown." I said.

"Yeah, I think it's cute. I mean, you look really hot today. I don't think I can take my eyes off you."

I realized she was whispering because Kattie and Morgan didn't look the least bothered about the both of us.

I swallowed hard, "same way I can't take my eyes off you, Elle."

We were going to have a long night. I was certain.