Chapter Thirty- eight

Raven

Kattie glared at me as if to say "I'm going to kill you later for snitching," and I was returning a glare that also said "your ass lucky you did not tell her anything and ruin the surprise, but you can't do shit..."

Janelle watched the two of us for a long time before finally making a throaty sound that got our attention.

"You okay, Jae?" I asked. She nodded.

"Both our moms want me to go shopping with them so I can get a dress for prom. But honestly, I'm not sure. Both our mothers can be a pretty annoying pair when they want to be."

"I know right? Mum already had a suit made for me." I said with an eyeroll. "Anyway, when are you going? I mean, when are you going to buy the dress?"

"Now..." Janelle answered.

"Wait, what? But we just got to Dickson's. Why now?"

"According to my mum, this is the only free time they have. They'll be here to pick me up in..." she stared at her watch, "right about now."

From the corner of my eye, I saw her mum walk into Dickson's. She waved at us first before coming over to our booth.

I got out of the booth to give her a hug and so did Kattie.

"You ready, Elle?" She asked.

"I am..." Janelle replied with a smile and picked up her phone and bag.

I took the bag from her. "I'll drop it of at your place on my way home. Besides, I need to see Bri."

She pulled me into a hug, and just when she was about to leave, I pulled her back and kissed her. She blushed crazy before walking out of the diner with her mum.

I stopped at Janelle's house before I got home so I could drop her school bag and say hi to Bri. And even though she asked nicely if I could stay for dinner, I said I couldn't, especially since big headed Kat was waiting in the car. She gave me a peck on the cheek and sent me back to Kat. I chuckled as I waved good bye to her.

It'd been a week since I asked Jae to prom. We still had a week or more before our exams were over and then prom. And there was still something bugging me. Something I couldn't even talk about. The ride home was a silent one.

"What does her dress look like?" Kattie asked as I attempted to ignore their discussion.

"I'm not supposed to tell you that, you know right?" My mum replied, scooping more ice cream into a small bowl.

"I know, I know. But I'm just eager to know. I mean, is it the same color as Raven's suit? Is it too fancy and blah blah blah. I just want to get the gist."

I turned my head back to my English note, wondering why I'd come in the kitchen in the first place. Oh well, it was to talk to mum. But Kattie was here, and whatever she was doing, she was doing it on purpose and it was working.

"Mum can I talk to you, and Dad too? He's up in the study, we can go there." I said, my glare particularly directed at Kattie was unwavering.

"Yeah. Sure honey. But what's this about?" She asked.

"You'll know soon."

The walk up the grand stairs and then down the beautifully painted hallway that led to dad's Study was a silent one. It was hard to explain to mum alone. I needed both the support they could offer when I eventually opened up about what was bugging me.

I knocked three times before opening the door. Mum got in first, and then I followed, closing the door. The smell of old and new books, of paper and ink enveloped me and I felt a little calm.

"Uh, why are you both here? Am I in some sort of trouble?" dad asked.

"You're not, honey. But I think something is bothering Raven." Mum answered.

I said nothing. I got to the big oak desk and pulled dad's laptop towards me. I opened my email and showed him the letter I received few days after I asked Janelle to prom.

They both read through it. And for the next few minutes I had to wait, I felt goosebumps. "This is good news. I mean, you always wanted this." Dad said.

"Your father is right. You always wanted this. You've always talked about it since you could make understandable sentences. Why the sad face now? Little wonder you've been mopping around for days, so morose." Mum added.

I said only one word. "Janelle."

"Oh no. She has a point, honey." Mum said, walking over to my side and pulling me into her arms.

"I was happy about it, but that was before I met Janelle...now, if I leave, I honestly don't know how she would react. I'm so stupid. Why didn't I think of this in the first place? I'll have to say no, mum."

My parents certainly weren't surprised about my decision. But they wanted me to think about it as much as they wanted me to tell Janelle.

"We understand that you love her. But you can't give up your life cause of her. You just need to be honest about it. Let her know, so you both can take a decision together. Whatever you decide after that, I promise, we'll support you, just like we always have." Dad added.

"Yeah. I guess you're right. I just need to be honest, but I'm scared. I don't want to ruin the last days of school and especially prom for her. I mean, she always dreamt about that one perfect night."

"We know that. But you still have to tell her. So, when will you?"

"Maybe, after prom?"

"Good idea." Mum said with a nod. She picked up her bowl that had little ice cream left. "Now stop looking like someone who had their heart broken and get back to your books, okay?"

"Okay."

Kattie had gotten the same letter as me and she too moped around the house. She wasn't sure how she'd tell Morgan about it too. We were in the same shoes. Exams would be over soon, and then prom. There was no running away from this.

It was harder for Kattie since Morgan's parents were catholic and were probably homophobic. I guess convincing Morgan's family was the last thing we had to do before graduating high school. And I was willing to help.