26° Kneel

I sat at the table, kicking my legs. Devin was making me some soup. I like soup. I remeber having it when I was real little, before mommy left.

"Ricky won't tell me why you're staying here. Could you tell me?" Devin asked.

"Mhm. I hears Sir and Ryan Ashley talkin' and he was sayin that he was gonna gets rid of me after the trial thing. I got mad at him and then Rick came and then he brought me here." I told him, looking at the wall.

"Wait, what do you mean, get rid of you?"

"Foster something..." I said absently.

"Foster care. Why would he do that? He loves you."

"I don't know. He said he can't take care of me like I need and that I have too many panic attacks and I cry too much. He doesn't love me no more."

"Well, I think Ricky's on the phone with him right now. Hopefully, he can change Mike's mind. If not, you can stay here for good."

"Thanks you." I said.

He smiled, handing me the bowl of soup. "Careful. It's hot."

I nodded, blowing on it. He sat down across from me with a bowl for himself.

All of a sudden, I felt tears fill my eyes. "W-why did he stop lovin' me?"

Devin gave me a sad look. "I don't know, sweetheart. I wish I could tell you....I really do."

"He hates me. Just like everyone else. I'm stupid and clingy and needy and-and unlovable and-"

"Stop. You are none of those, Chris. You are a beautiful little boy. You're special, and smart, and perfect." He told me. "You shouldn't think of yourself so negatively."

"But I am. I'm just as bad as daddy says."

"Daddy? Who's daddy?"

"My daddy. He was one that Rick and sir took me away from."

"Your real father?"

I nodded.

He looked confused. Oops.

I stopped eating and put my head down. See. I'm bad. I wonder if anyone will ever like me...

"Come on. I'll put the TV on and we can watch it."

I nodded.

He brought me into the living room and turned it on.

"I'll be right back. I wanna go take a quick shower. Stay here."

I nodded, focusing on the TV.

He left me, and I heard Rick yelling in the other room. I walked to the door in the corner, sitting down next to it. I could hear his voice clearly now.

"No! Don't you even start with that shit, Mike! I was not the reason for that!"

Reason for what?

"Shut the fuck up! How did this conversation go from Chris to him?"

Who?

"Don't you fucking turn this on me! That was not my fault and neither was this! This time, it's your fuck up!"

Why was he yelling at sir? Was sir bad?

"Mike, I fucking saved you so don't tell me that I ruined your relationship. I'll talk to you about this more tomorrow." Rick spoke, trying to keep calm.

What did he save sir from? I'm confused...

"I'm going to give Chris the phone. Say goodbye. He'll see you when hrs ready."

I got up and ran back to the couch. I sat there, waiting for Rick. I pretended to be confused when he gave me the phone.

"It's Mike." He told me.

"Hello?" I whispered.

"Chris? Shit. I'm so sorry, baby. Please come home. I need you..." He said. He sounded like he had been crying.

"I don't wanna. Y-you don't love me."

"I do love you. The reason I said that I was going to put you in foster care was because I was scared. I didn't want to hurt you or let you down. You deserve someone who can give you everything you need."

"But you does..."

"I don't. But, I won't put you in it. I'll try my hardest for you. I'm sorry. Please come home, baby boy. I miss you." He told me.

"Not yet. I'm having fun here. Maybe tomorrow." I told him.

He sighed. "Okay. I'm sorry. I love you, kitten."

"You promise?"

"Yes. I promise. I'll see you tomorrow."

I smiled. "Okay. Bye bye."

Rick took his phone back.

"Everything okay?"

"I gon' go home tomorrow." I told him.

"Okay." He said, smiling at me. "Where's Dev?"

"Um...shower?" I told him.

"Alright. I'll be right back."

I nodded, playing with the end of my dress.

He came back a few minutes later with Devin. I looked up, watching them kiss. I frowned. I want sir now. I wanna be kissed.

I looked at the floor.

"What's wrong?" Devin asked.

I just shrugged.

"Aw, he feels left out." Rick said. He kissed my head. I smiled. Rick was nice.

I want a hug. Where'd Bubbles go? He'll hug me. I looked around, not seeing him.

"Bubbles?" I called.

"Last I saw him, he was in the kitchen." Devin said. "Is something wrong?"

"I want sir b'cause he gives me lotsa kisses and huggies."

"Well, we can give you lots of hugs and kisses too." He said.

"Really?"

"Mhm. So, I'll go get you Bubbles and get some snacks, while Ricky sets up a movie."

"But don't you supposed to watch movies at night? Isn't it the morning?" I asked.

"It's the afternoon. But you can watch movies whenever." Rick told me.

"Oh. Okay."

Rick showed me 2 boxes. "Do you want to watch Edward Scissorhands or Nightmare Before Christmas?"

"Um...The first one."

"Alright."

Devin came back carrying Bubbles and a big bowl.

He sat down next to me, putting Bubbles in my lap.

"Ew! Bubbles, you're wet!"

"He sat in his water." (My dog actually does this and it's gross.)

"Ew..."

Devin and Rick sat down on my sides, moving close.

This felt nice.

I like this.

I felt loved. 

------

Awe

Thank you all for the votes on this story!!!

~Syn