All my fault

I had been waiting at the emergency waiting for hours. I had texting my mom we had gone fishing and Benson fell on one of the fish hooks so she wouldn't worry. It was already one o'clock in the morning. I needed to see him. My hair wasn't in danger if I didn't find out what was going on with Benson soon. I saw a nurse and tapped her gently.

"Excuse me miss? But do you know what is going on with patient Benson Knight."

"I'm sorry mam but it is against hospital policy to speak of an patients conditions."
"I know but is there anyway you can at least tell me which room he is staying in?"

"I'm sorry but only family members."

"But I am his family." I looked at her peak and even started crying a little.

"Fine but it has to be quick."

"Thank you so much!"

She shook her head and smiled as she flipped through her clipboard looking for his name. "It's upstairs room 5E."

I tried my best not to let my emotions get the best of me and run frantically through the halls just trying to get to his room. I didn't want to draw any attention to myself. I also didn't want to get thrown out. I found his room and took a deep breath before I walked in.

"I was wondering when you would get here. I guess it took you a little bit longer to find a way to see me. I knew you wouldn't give up."

"Really Benson? What if I had gone back home and came back during visiting hours to see you?"

"See that's the thing. I know you Zoey. You wouldn't step one foot out of this hospital without saying one word to me. Because seeing a glimpse of me isn't enough. And for that I thank you."

My throat became dry and I had to fight just to say five words. "Ho..How are you so sure?"

"He raised his head a little where I could see a huge bandage wrapped around his forehead. The blood was already seeping through. "You worry too much that's why."

I relaxed. For some crazy reason I thought he was going to say something like I loved him because obviously I love Hazel but for some reason I was kinda sad he didn't.

"What are you thinking about?" I realized his voice was croaky and soft. He was under some medication probability from the pain.

"Nothing. I'm just worried because blood is already bleeding through your bandage."

"See? What did I tell you? Always worrying."

"Sorry."

"No I like it when you worry."

"You do?"

"Yeah. It shows how much you care."

"I can call a nurse to fix the bandage."

"If you do that you'll get caught silly."

"Right! I snuck in here."

"You can do it."

"Me? You sure?"
"Yeah. You can't leave yet."
"Oh ok." I saw a new bandage that was already on the table. Picking it up, I hummed while I worked on it making sure to be careful. Benson laughed and I looked at his deep blue eyes before asking him why he was laughing.

"What's so funny?"
"It's just when we first met I was the one taking care of you. And now you're taking care of me."

I finished wrapping his bandage before I spoke. "The difference now is that you're in the hospital because of me."

"It's only a couple of stitches."

I hadn't realized I was crying. "But it's all my fault. I shouldn't have even gone on this dumb search."