Ch. 2

Tris p.o.v:
"Tris what's going on with you? And don't say it's nothing. Ever since we escaped you have been distanced and I'm getting really worried."

I look away but he brings my face so I look right back at him. I can see that he wants to know just by his facial expression.

"Tris please just tell me." He pleads and I sigh in defeat knowing he has a right to know what's going on with me. I guess now is the time to tell him since everything is settled down for now.

"It's about Valerie and Emily."

"What about them?"

"I feel guilty for not helping them Tobias. I could've helped them but instead I ran away like a coward!"

"Tris you're not a coward."

"Then what am I? I keep on ruining people's lives Tobias. Emily and Valerie have done nothing but help me and what do they get? They get hurt because they are associated with me! If David didn't find out none of this would've happened."

"Tris I know you're going to get mad at me for what I say next but it's the truth." I look at him with one eyebrow raised up. "Tris you can't change what happens but what you can change is what you make of it. Stop dwelling on the 'what if' and focus on the now."

I focus on what Tobias said to me just now and he does have a point. I always seem to dwell on the 'what if' even though I can't seem to change it. When I shot Will wishing I shot him in the hand instead. When I was prisoner at Erudite. When there was endless killings. When we went over the fence. When I came back from a coma. When I couldn't walk.

I have done it a lot and I guess it's time that I stop. Tobias is right. It's time to focus on the future.

"Tobias you're right."

"Thank god I got some sense into you." I roll my eyes at him even though I know he cares. "Hey, I saw that."

"Yeah whatever." I look down at my hands and we became silent for a while. "You know David has them now and he'll use them to his advantage." After I say this I look up at him and he's staring at me.

"I know Tris. We'll rescue them but not right now. We would be captured the moment we step foot in that place. We don't have any weapons with us and we are outnumbered."

"Yeah. I know Tobias but it doesn't change the fact that I could've done something."

"Hey Emily and Valerie would've wanted you escape. They can survive in whatever David puts their way. For as long as I've known them these past few months I've learned that they are strong and can overcome anything."

"That's true."

"Tris it'll be fine. We'll rescue them someday but for now let's not worry about it."

"Ok." Tobias smiles at me and then kisses my lips. I bring my hands around his neck bringing him closer to me and we kiss for about another minute. He has his hands on my cheeks holding me in place. When he breaks away from the kiss he looks into my eyes and has a smile on his face.

"I'm glad you talked things out with me.  I just worried about you and I don't want you to feel like this.  You should feel happy every day of your life."