Family Comes First

Padmé watched silently from afar as her children finally stopped on a nearby walkway, carefully she listened as Leia began.

"Luke, what's wrong?"  She inquired, just as perceptive as ever.  "If this is about Padmé, I was only teasing-"

"Look," Luke cut her off, as he stared for a moment. "Do you...Leia do you remember your mother, your real mother?"

Padmé felt her heart begin to race, immediately clued in on her son's intentions, though she wasn't prepared for her daughter's response.

"Just a little bit, she died when I was very young," Leia found herself admitting. "Of course, it's been getting strangely clearer, as of late."

"What do you remember?" Luke asked, his voice sounding a bit more serious.

"Just...images, really. Feelings," Leia responded.

Padmé stared at her daughter, noticing a slight tension in Leia's tone. Luke, you should calm down, maybe this isn't the best time-

Unfortunately, Luke wasn't listening, as he seemed to grow only more insistent.

"Tell me," he almost demanded, much to Leia and Padmé's shock. Leia paused for a second, only adding to her mother's fears, however, she did decide to relent.

"She was very beautiful. Kind, but...sad."

Padmé looked away somewhat, Is that truly all my daughter remembers of me?

"Why are you asking me all this?"  Leia questioned, causing Luke to stare away as well.

"I have no memories of my mother, from my childhood.  I had never known her," He responded, obviously choosing his words carefully. 

He's trying not to lie, Padmé silently realized.

"Luke, tell me.  What's troubling you?"  Leia now seemed to demand.

"Vader is here...now on this moon."  He revealed, obviously attempting to warn Leia and Padmé.

Anakin?!  He's here? Padmé struggled to remain silent, in fear of being discovered prematurely, as Leia immediately ordered an explanation.

"How do you know?"  She asked, clearly alarmed at the news.

Luke paused, once again picking his words delicately, "I felt his presence.  I know he's coming for me, he can feel whenever I'm near.  That's why I have to go.  As long as I stay, I'm endangering the group and the mission here.  I have to face him."

Padmé was absolutely livid,  I am NOT letting my son go alone!  Luke had better not think he's facing Anakin without me, we are a family! 

Leia, as opposed to her still seething mother, was more confused than anything.

"Why?" She managed to question.

Luke's face softened as he approached her gently with his answer, "He's my father."

"Your father?!"  Leia backed away, almost unable to truly process the information.

Padmé knew this revelation had been kept secret from Leia and the others, though she could almost feel a subtle change in Luke.  The Force didn't need to tell her that Luke had grown tired of keeping his friends in the dark.

"There's more," Luke continued, "it won't be easy for you to hear it, but you must.  If I don't make it back, you're the only hope for the alliance."

Leia' face contorted slightly, she had clearly been agitated and didn't dare believe him.

"Luke, don't talk that way!"  Leia reprimanded him.  "You have a power I-I don't even understand and could never have."