End of an Era

Just until...they're alright without me...

Padmé didn't know what exactly to expect when she rejoined the land of the living, she had left her family in such a critical state after all. However, the sight of Luke lying motionless in front of her, with the faint smell of smoke coming off his clothes, was enough to leave Padmé with the impression she had missed quite a lot. Practically crawling over to her son, Padmé ignored the sudden stiffness in her muscles and the consistent burning sensation in the back of her throat. He looked just as tense up close, with noticeable, but minor, spasms flashing across his face and exposed hand. 

"Luke," Padmé whimpered softly as she gently lifted his head off of the hard floor and onto her lap.  "I'm here, your mother is here."

The tension seemed to drain a little from his face, but he still didn't wake up.  Biting back tears as she gently brushed away his sweat soaked bangs, Padmé took a deep breath before looking upward.

"Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn!  You tell the Force to let my baby come back to me right now, or I swear I'll go there and get him myself!"

In all honesty, Padmé had been through too much to let screaming orders to a dead man while staring at the ceiling embarrass her. She just hoped it would work. A moment passed, and just before she could consider how exactly she could make good on her threat, Luke's eyes shot open. He quickly sat up, while taking in a big gasp of air, followed by several less desperate, but just as deep breaths. Sending a silent thank-you Qui-Gon's way, Padmé watched with a nervous smile as Luke's breathing began to calm down.

"Luke?" She asked tentatively, trying not to notice how he froze at her voice.

Slowly, he turned her way, his blue eyes wide open. Luke's mouth opened and closed a few times, as though he couldn't exactly decide on what to say. Instead, he choked out a teary smile as he pulled Padmé into a tight hug. She could hear him mumbling out an unnecessary apology, intermixed with a few sniffles, all while Padmé gently rubbed his back and assured him she was really there. She could have sat there forever, holding her son in her arms, but alas the galaxy is forever in motion, apparently pulled along by the Force...only to become the Force? Padmé still wasn't entirely sure of how it all worked, but there were more pressing matters to attend to.

Luke's grip tightened considerably when the station suddenly began to shake around them. When the tremor finally stopped, it was replaced by the echoes of a warning siren.  Both looked towards the viewport, which revealed the now incoming Rebel Alliance ships successfully attacking the station.  Excitement was etched on Luke's face as he turned back to Padmé.

"Leia and Han!  The ground team must have deactivated the shield!" 

Another tremor shook the floor, confirming Luke's assumption.  And, as happy as Padmé was at the thought that this horrible weapon would be destroyed, she definitely didn't want to be ONBOARD when it happened!  Though, the idea of Palpatine exploding in space was a different matter. 

Oh, OH FORCE!

Padmé immediately threw herself in front of Luke as she rapidly scanned the room.

"Mother, it's alright.  The Emperor is gone!"

Luke grabbed her shoulders and turned her back around to him.  "Father stopped him."

"Your father?"  Padmé asked nervously.  As much as she didn't want to think about it, an intrusive memory of the last time Anakin took revenge for the death of a loved one...well it might have very well put him on the path to this future.

Luke nodded, oblivious to his mother's worries.  "Yes, he did it to save my life."

As Luke gave an abridged version of what had transpired while she was away, Padmé felt her heart swell.  He had done it, Anakin had come back to the light.  Of course, this only made her feel more guilty as she realized neither her nor Luke had actually considered where Anakin was at the moment.  Luckily, a quick look around showed he was over by the now glowing elevator shaft.