Onward and Upward

"Mother, be reasonable-"

"No, Luke," Padmé argued, much to her children's surprise.

"Mother, please," Luke walked over, placing a hand on Padmé's shoulder, his eyes silently imploring her to reconsider.

Oh Luke, I'm sorry but Anakin needs me!  A sigh escaped Padmé as she carefully removed his hand, though refusing to let go. "I'm sorry, but this isn't a debate. I'm not letting you go alone, it's dangerous."

"Well of course it's dangerous," Leia chimed in, "which is why neither of you should go-"

"You know you're not really helping here, sis," Luke interjected.

"HOWEVER!" Leia shouted, her eyes attempting to burn holes into her brother's thick skull. "You can't win a war by playing it safe, perhaps it would be best if Luke went to confront Darth Vader. If he truly believes that Vader won't turn him over to the Emperor, besides Luke is more than capable of protecting himself, he is a Jedi after all."

"I know that," Padmé smiled, "there is no doubt in my mind that Luke can hold his own in any duel."

"Exactly, Mother," Luke formed his own calm grin as they embraced. "I'll be fine."

"I know you will Luke, but I'm still going."

Luke tore away slightly, while his smile became noticeably strained. Padmé glanced over at Leia, who shot back a confused look of her own.

"Why?"

Padmé turned back to her son, his normally sparkling blue eyes were dulled over, and his voice seemed to almost shake as he asked again.

"Why...must you come?" Luke questioned.

Why...must I come? Padmé's body froze, she had never expected such opposition from Luke.

"I can save him, so you don't have to-"

Right at that moment, Padmé grabbed her son once more. It didn't matter how old he was, she couldn't see anything other than a scared little boy. Her scared little boy. She held tighter than ever before, as he did the same.

"Mother," Luke whispered, "I just got you back, I don't want you taken away again."

"Luke," Padmé answered, trying to suppress her tears, "I'm sorry I couldn't have been there for you, and I know I haven't been around too long this time either. But, please understand. I've never been prouder of anyone than you and your sister, and I promise that no matter what happens, you both can count on the fact that my love will never disappear.  I will always care about you two, whether I'm here or...elsewhere."

Padmé looked over at Leia, her eyes glazed over with a thin layer of tears.  Smiling softly, Padmé extended her hand, pulling Leia into the familial hug.  "It's not your job to worry about me, Luke," Padmé whispered to her son.  "It's mine to watch over you."

***
"Please be safe you two," Leia asked, clearly struggling to keep a calm voice.

"Of course we will," Luke assured, flashing a smirk, "I mean, we are Skywalkers after all!"

As the twins playfully shoved each other slightly, Padmé felt herself grasping at her necklace, while staring up at the rather breathtaking stars. 

I hope Leia will be alright running the ground operations, she is definitely a great tactician.  Anakin would be so proud of our little girl, though the last thing he probably ever intended was for her to grow up in a war zone.  Honestly, it's as though neither of us can escape the battlefield...perhaps we're cursed?  Our relationship was forbidden to begin with, and it apparently didn't end with a happily ever after,  Padmé glanced over at Luke and Leia, not to mention our lost children-

"Well, Mother?"

Padmé nearly jumped as she was startled back into reality, noticing her children's worried looks.

"Oh, sorry," she quickly apologized, alleviating the slight tension.

"Ready to go?"

"Of course," she nodded, hugging Leia one last time, before watching her run back towards the village. 

There's no going back now, Anakin here we come!