Chapter 5: An Appointment and a Free Car Ride

Just to clarify, the Obstetrician place is completely made up.

Enjoy! :)

"Hey, Allison," I sneak up to her, talking softly. "Can I have a ride home?" Work ended about ten minutes ago. I called Jack, hoping he'll come pick me up, but he didn't answer his phone. Which didn't surprise me at all since we got off work about an hour early. Our boss wasn't feeling well today, so he called off some of the staff so he can go home.

Allison looks at me with bright but tired eyes. "Sure!" I can tell that today's earlier question has been forgotten completely. Thank the Lord. Taking care of kids can make you forget. They keep you busy and make you extremely tired at the end of the day.

You are going to be a calm baby... I insist. You are going to be a non-busy baby.

"Just give me a few minutes and then we'll go."

I nod. "I'm going outside. I'll be by your car." There's something important I need to do.

She nods as she walks away. Slightly in a hurry, I step outside in the parking lot. Standing by her car, I take out my cell phone and dial the number I've been needing to dial for a few days now. I found this great Obstetrician place a few days ago online. The doctors seem to be friendly and the organization appears to be pretty organized.

I guess now we'll find out how correct my assumptions were.

I hold the phone to my ear, waiting for someone to pick up.

"Hello, welcome to Reynold Medical Center. My name is Rebecca how can I help you today?" That was said with perfect precision and clarity. My eyebrows raise in surprise. I guess they know what they're doing.

I clear my throat. "Hi, I was hoping to make an appointment."

"Of course, what for?" The voice is cheery, but serious at the same time.

"I want to get check-well, you see....I-I'm pregnant," I whisper quietly. I quickly search the parking lot for listening ears. When did I get so paranoid?

"Yes, dear, that's usually the reason why people call Reynold Medical." The voice is teasing. I can't help but blush. I feel so stupid right now!

"Well-I-I-oh..." I'm so flustered, it's nuts!

I hear a laugh on the other end. "It's okay, dear. I've heard a lot worse from others who are just like you. Okay, let's see..." I hear paper noises on the other line. "I do have to ask you some personal questions."

"I understand."

"Okay. Name?"

"Amy Stein."

"Age?"

I gulp. I hope she doesn't judge me. "Uh...n-nineteen."

There's no response, only the sounds of paper being shuffled. "Sex?"

I pause, suddenly stumped. "R-really?"

"I know it's dumb, but they have to know."

"Can't you just put my sex for me?" I ask.

"Sadly, no, it's required that I ask everyting...even the obvious." She sighs.

"Female," I mumble.

"How far along are you in your pregnancy?"

"Six weeks, I think."

"Have any obvious pregnancy symptoms?"

"Morning sickness."