Chapter 21: Allison Meets Nadir

"Hurry! Hurry hurry hurry!!!" I yell at Allison. Meanwhile, I continue to run as fast as I can toward the obstetrician building.

We are so late!

"Humph! You aren't wearing heels, Miss Tennis Shoes!" Allison argues. As if to prove her point, the sound of high-heeled feet are heard clomping behind me. "Hold up!"

I smirk sneakily to myself. I told her to wear heels, said I wanted her to look intimidating and impressive to the other "moms-to-be." So, without a second thought, she put on the shoes....and the pencil-thin skirt...and a nice button-down blouse.

What can I say? I lied about wanting her to be "intimidating and impressive for the other moms"-I just wanted her to look nice for Nadir.

Allison has no clue what I have planned-it's so exciting! She seems to have forgotten all about this Nadir guy (he hasn't been mentioned since she gave me that car ride home), well, she's going to remember. And soon.

I press the up button for the elevator, pressing it three times for extra measure. We are so late! And why are we late, Ames? Probably because you made Allison change clothes at least twenty times. Which is why she's been in a bad mood since this morning; but I wanted to find the perfect outfit to impress Nadir. I hope-if things go right-her mood changes changes quickly.

I hear Allison's shoes take those final steps before coming to a halt next to me. She's leaning down on her hands and knees, gasping for air.

"Never-" gasp "-never doing this again." She coughs twice. "Don't ask me to change my clothes....or even help me dress ever again!"

"Fine. Then I guess I won't let you come to one of these appointments ever again and, you know, ask you to skip school with me." I say, coolly.

There's a silence. Then a gaspy, "Fine. Whatever."

I smile. The eleveator doors open and we walk, or if your Allison, waddle in.

I squint at Allison. "Why are you so out of breath? I thought you were the fit one." And the non-preggo one.

"I don't know," she takes a deep breath. "I have been eating a lot more than usual. I think it's stress."

I nod. Things have been stressful lately.

The elevator dings and we both get out, walking into the hallway. Allison follows me towards the door that reads 'Obstetrician'. I open it and immediately go to the desk.

"Hi, Rebecca!" I say, slightly breathless.

"Hey," she smiles. "Late start?"

I nod, grimicing. "Yeah, sorry." I give her the amount of co-pay.

"Did you bring a buddy with you today?" She asks.

I nod, acknowledging behind me. "Allison."

Hearing her name, Allison brings her attention back to me. Smiling she walks towards the desk. "Hi," she says.

Rebecca smiles at her. "Hello. You both can now go into the doctor's room. Mr. Khan will join you shortly."

"Thanks, Rebecca." I say quickly. I walk into the back; Allison joins me. I enter the same room I was in last itme. "Now unless you want to see me naked, I suggest you turn away," I warn her.

"Oh, dream come true," Allison replies sarcastically. She turns around. "Tell me when your done."

"Mmhm." I undress quickly, wanting to get this over with as fast as possible. "Okay." I place my folded clothes on one of the chairs. "It's safe." I hop up on the medical table.