Chapter 58: At the Hospital

Again, excuse me for my poor editing skills. 

Besides that, enjoy the chapter!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My tires squeal as I park the car. I sprint through the hospital doors and run straight to the receptionists' desk.

"Erik!"

I come to a halt and turn. "Allison."

She runs up to me with red eyes and wraps her arms around me. At first I'm shocked. Allison has seen me without my mask, I can't believe she isn't disgusted. The only other person who has hugged me-even without my mask-was Amy... Amy!

"How is she?" After a small pat on her back, I gently pull Allison away.

Allison sniffs. She looks like she has been crying. It's a depressing sight, completely polar to her usual jovial self.

"I don't know, they haven't said anything yet."

"Have you called her parents?" I ask.

Her eyes widen. "No, but I should. Excuse me." Allison pulls out her cell and leaves the building. I've always found it a dumb rule that hospitals don't permit inside usage of cell phones. 

I turn to look at the receptionist. "Excuse me?"

She looks up with her eyes only. "Yes?"

"I'm hoping to find some information about Amy Stein."

The receptionist types her name into the computer. "It seems like she's in for some extensive surgery."

"Yes?" I urge.

"I'm afraid that's all my computer says. The only other information I have is the extent of her injuries. For any more information you'll have to wait for the doctor. The only other thing I can let you know is when she's out."

I nod. Slumping in defeat, I find myself a seat and sit down. Allison comes in a minute later and sits in the chair next to me.

"They're basically calling the airport right now," Allison tells me. "Trying to find a red-eye flight."

I hear her words, yet I can't acknowledge them. It's like I'm a numbless shadow, waiting for the spirit to be returned back into my body.

"So what's going on?" She asks.

I, emotionlessly, replay the same information the receptionist told me.

Allison sighs, rubbing her eyes. "It's going to be a long night."

It is.

And it was.

------------------------------------------

Four Hours Later.......

"I don't need fixing up!" I snap, slapping his hand away from my face. What an intrusion! "I just want to know how Amy Stein is doing!" These impertinent, pompous doctors think they're everything. Right now they're focusing on me because I have a black eye and a few cuts on the visible part of my face. 

I bet they're hoping for a little extra cash.

"They still need cleaning." The doctor furrows his brows. "I'll send a nurse."

"Tell me," I growl, "about Amy Stein....now!"

About an hour ago, the nurse at the receptionists' desk told us that Amy got out of surgery. We've been trying to find a doctor who was assigned to her so we could get more information. This is the first time one of her doctors finally came out of the operating room. Many other doctors have passed us during the hour, however none of them knew Amy, and they mostly paid attention to my injuries. Finally one does and he, like the rest of them, wouldn't stop paying attention to my visage!