Chapter 8: Off-Beat Introductions

I'm unable to say anything; my words are choked up in my mouth. With this awkward silence and the small panic that's building up in me, I now feel quite queasy. My stomach rumbles painfully.

"Ah..." Is the only sound I make.

"Erik!" Lola pops up from the bed and runs to the man. She gives him a big, warm-felt hug. His arms wrap around her, almost protectively, and continues to glare at me (like I'm a threat to her or something).

This Erik, after a few uncomfortable seconds, tears his gaze from me. He looks down at Lola. "Lola, are you okay?" I almost gasp at the sudden change of his voice. The music sound is back; his voice gentle, calm, and caring. It almost took my breath away.

A sharp pain enters my stomach. I wince and push it aside. Allison fake-smiles at the others, who are all looking at me nervously. Whenever I look one of them, they shy away from me, like Lola did before she started talking to me.

"What is going on?" I start at the closeness of the voice. I look up and see Allison. Her position is that of one who is nervous and angry all at once.

"It's too long to explain right now," I whisper back.

"Erik," Lola's voice interrupts us. With Erik's hand in hers, she drags him to me-and I literally do mean drag, for he looks reluctant to move any closer to me. "I'd like you to meet Amy. Amy this is Erik." Despite the pain in my stomach, I stand up and offer my hand to him.

"It's nice to meet you." I wait patiently for his hand to come meet mine, but it doesn't. In the corner of my eye, I see Allison wince slightly. My stomach releases another sharp pain. It feels like an Alien is trying to gnaw it's way through. I wince in pain as I lower my hand.

"Lola," Allison's voice has a slight warning tone to it. "We've been looking for you for the past five minutes. We were getting frantic!" She acknowledges to the lingering bodies in the doorway and the tall body in front of me.

I can't help but examine this Erik more. He is defenitly tall; I barely make it to his chest. He is very skinny, yet I can see some muscle in his arms and torso; it exaggerates that spindly look he has. His eyes gather my interest again: one blue, one pure ink. The inky one is on the right side of his face. It makes my curiosity grow to wonder at what lies on the right side of his face.

What lies beneath the mask?

I study is face discreetly. The left side of his face is quite handsome and manly. In actuality he is a very attractive man. Unexpectedly, I feel my heart flutter against my chest. It was so shocking, I twitched. Luckily no one seemed to notice my body's momentary spasm.

Daring myself to look at him again, my eyes accidentally land on his lips. Something about his lips gather my attention. Although his mask covers the more intimate details of his face, I can see some of his lip. The right side of his lip, the upper and lower, start to incline, almost to a bloat like state.

He appears to be very young, but doesn't seem to be younger than twenty-seven.

His attire is different too. Colorless. Not normal.

Think composer clothing.

Hey, maybe he's the one who brought the piano!

But why the 18th century-like clothing? I'm going to have to ask Allison later.

"Sorry, Allison." Lola is looking down at the ground.

"It's fine," Allison's voice is more calm. "So," she looks between me and Lola "how did you two meet?"

"That is something I would like to know as well," Erik growls, giving me another dark glare. I turn away from him. Another pain shoots through my stomach. I sit down on the bed, letting out a breath.