Chapter 31: Tuesday Revelations (part 3)

My heart won't stop pounding. My hands won't stop sweating. 

He knows. Jack knows. 

How is that possible? I haven't said a thing. Neither has Allison. Jack knows Nadir, but it was only that one time and nothing was revealed. I look down at my stomach, I'm barely showing. I only have a small, teeny bump. A stranger wouldn't know I'm pregnant.

My baby. 

My baby. 

Not his, not our-mine!

I look at Jack, feeling light headed. "How? How do you know?"

Jack digs his hand into his back pocket and brings out a phone...my phone!

I snatch at it, holding it carefully in my grasp. "My phone! Where did you find it?" I stare at him, wide-eyed. A thought crosses my mind: "When have you found it?"

Jack crosses his arms. "I found it two weeks ago."

I internally gasp. That's when he started bugging me at school, asking me to come back to him. I grow angry. "You lied! A few days ago, you denied finding it!"

He shrugs. "Whatever."

I huff, blowing hair away from my face. 

"Want me to finish the story?" Jack pompously asks. 

I glare at him. 

"Okay," he continues. "I found it two weeks ago. And, if you must know, it was buried between the coushins from the couch in the living room. I heard it ring and that's what gave it away."

I interrupt him. "I looked there! I couldn't find it!" Then I remember: I threw it there when I was going to tell Jack the news of my pregnancy. After discovering his affair and his kicking me out, I forgot all about my phone.

"It was really sitting in deep within the coushins," Jack explains. "Hence, why the ring finally gave it's place away."

I scowl, already getting annoyed. "Just continue with the story."

"I find the phone, instantly recognizing it as yours, and answer it. Some woman on the other end asks for you, so I tell her your not here. I was about to explain to her that you won't be back for a while when she asks if I'm related to you. I grow curious and tell her I'm your fiance."

Jack, that ass. I growl in my head.

"The woman then proceeds to tell me that she's wants to remind you of your appointment with the obstetrician, Nadir Khan. She then thanks me and hangs up." Jack finishes his story, but not his speech, "At first, I couldn't believe it. For a minute, I contemplated whether you had sex with another man. Then I realized how impossible that was, because you-you!- would never do that! Amy, who is so pure and devoted, would never cheat on me! But I also couldn't believe that after our first time, you would get pregnant-we only did it once-however, I knew it wasn't improbable. After deciding and thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that I will need to take care of you and the baby. That's right," he reassures. "I'm taking responsibility." He smiles, proudly, like a little boy. 

I stare at him, my gaze relaxing. I'm still pissed at him, but I need to tell him, gently, that I don't need or want him; we're done. 

"Jack." I step closer to him. "Thanks for taking that....noble step."

Phht, yeah right.

"But," I pick at my nail, growing nervous. "But, I'm on my own with this one."

Jack's grin fades, his face going neutral. 

I continue. "I-I am going to be a single mom. Thanks, but...we're over Jack. You hurt me once, very badly, and looking at what's happened within these past few weeks, I think your going to continue to hurt me. And therefore, I fear you'll hurt the child, too." I place a hand on my stomach. Tears come into my eyes at that drastic thought. "I had some great times with you, but I think those times are up. Thank you for giving me some wonderful memories."