Chapter 34: Rebecca and Jake Meet

I know it's been a while, guys. So sorry! But I think I'm back. Had a little trouble here, but I think I'm covered for a while.

And I must apologize if I made a few errors in here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The doorbell rings.

She's here! She's here! I almost squeal in delight.

Without a second thought I open the door and fling my arms around the person standing outside. "Rebecca!" I wrap her in a tight hug.

She wasn't expecting it. "Whoa!" Rebecca stands still for a moment, then wraps her arms around me as well. "Hey, nice to see you, Amy."

I release her, bidding her to come in, "Come on in."

"I'm a little early," she apologizes.

I close the door. "Not a problem. I was growing bored anyway."

"Um..." Rebecca stands in the middle of the room. "Where should I...?" She touches her jacket.

"Oh! How rude of me." I flush. "Um, you can put your coat here-" I point to the coat hanger, "-and your shoes right underneath it."

Rebecca does just that. "Where's your roommate?"

"She's on a date, so it's just us. Do you want something to drink?" I ask.

"Oh, sure."

"We got lemonade, water, tea, juice...." I start listing off drinks.

"Ooh, lemonade sounds nice."

I smile. "Okay. Make yourself at home." I walk into the kitchen, preparing her drink.

"Well, it was almost the three of us," comments Rebecca.

"Three?"

"I was able to find a babysitter at the last minute," she explains.

"It would've been fine if you brought your son along." I carry her cup of lemonade out along with my cup of water. "Allison and I love kids."

"Thanks for that," she takes the drink from my hand, "but I haven't had a "girl-date" in a long time."

I laugh. "This is well-needed then, huh?"

"Oh yeah. Mmm!" She took a sip of lemonade. "This is good; refreshing!"

"Thanks. Made it just a few hours ago." I sit down. Early this morning I went shopping for food and drinks-it was time to refill the fridge anyway; we were running low. Also I wanted to give Rebecca more than just two options of drinks. When I came back it was around noon. Allison was leaving by the time I went into the kitchen (she demanded a full report of today's evening-specifically between the interactions of Rebecca and Jake). I told her not to worry. Half an hour later, Erik called me. Again. I was thrilled.

He told me that he would be a little later than usual today for our singing lesson.

I did not tell him I forgot...again. I seem to always forget them.

He asked if maybe coming around five will be good. I told him it was perfect-especially considering today's circumstances.

"Want to see a picture of my son?"

I return to reality. "Sure."

Rebecca digs her phone from her pocket. She starts flipping through her photos, "This...is...my...son."