Dignified Champion

I  let out the air in my lungs. I jump up and down and land in my landing position. The day was so much better then yesterday. My mood and mindset was different and all the tension was released. I was disappointed yesterday and I saw how my parents and coach reacted and it was bad. But the only way to go was up.

I focused all my energy on enjoying the process and journey of my competition, not the result. As I get on the ice for my warm up I ignore coach and do my jumps. Feeling good I just imagine this any other practice.

Finally, it's my turn to skate. I get into my position take a deep breath. As the music starts I imagine myself skating at home alone on the ice. Kace is watching me giving me support no matter what I do. I bang the first jump combination. A smile spread across my face and put emotion into my moves. The tempo of the music picks up and so do I. I am enjoying my skate and I feel the crowd does too as they get involved by clapping along. That encourages me more and I really put my face expressions into the choreography. The next triple jump comes and I do it with a breeze, the crowd cheers as I land it so easily. I enter my last spin and the joy is bubbling up as I realized I just skated a clean long program at nationals. I freeze in my ending position as my music stop. I stand there breathing hard as I hear the crowd screaming all around me. Still standing in my ending position I almost can't believe what I just did. Finally, I break my ending position and couldn't stop smiling. I bow to the judges and audience not really focusing on anything. As I step off the ice my coach gives me a hug telling me good job. Maybe yesterday that would have been great but today I didn't care what he thought. I did this on my own.

We sit and wait for my scores. When my score shows up my hand goes to my mouth. It was my highest of the season! I didn't think I could smile any bigger but I just proved myself wrong. I couldn't wait to tell Kace. And I guess he is going to get that kiss.

......

"That's my girl!" My dad kisses my forehead. We are walking as a family to go to a celebration dinner. I look down at the silver medal hanging from my neck. I can't help but think would I be my dad's "girl" if I didn't get a medal today? Negative thoughts fight to take over my mind but I shake them away. I won't let this ruin my victory. My mom, dad and coach all sit down at the hotel restaurant to eat. The table is filled with joyous conversation and positive energy. I don't have "family" dinners like this often so I soak it all in.

"Now that Chesa is third and on her way to nationals, we can aim for medaling and being the best in the country." My coach talks future with my dad. I didn't like the way they were discussing this without asking me but it was such a rare moment when my dad and coach are in a great mood so I just stayed quiet.

"Basically my daughter has a bright future!" My dad booms, "We can talk business later. Let's celebrate with some beers." My coach agrees and my dad orders drinks, my mom getting cocktail. I of course just had water.

Dinner was over and my dad and coach were on their fourth beer. The celebration has turned more into an adult drunk fest so I decided to return to the room.

"If you would excuse me I am tried and will retire for the evening." I said as I stood up to leave.

"Go rest my champion!" my dad yells drunkly, "We'll stay here and drink on your honor!"

My coach holds up his beer, "FOR CHESA!"

"FOR CHESA!" My dad yells at him and coach down their beers. My mom just laughs uncontrollably at their behavior having one too many drinks herself.

I just shake my head as I head to our room. My pace suddenly picks up as I am excited to get back. I enter the room and instantly go to the spot my dad hid my phone. I take it out and see Kace's messages.

'How did it go??' 'I sure you kicked butt. Let me know.' 'The suspense is killing me.'

I go to FaceTime and press Kace's contact. I sit down on the couch while it rings.

Kace's face shows up, "Hey."

"Hey." I say casually though I'm burst inside wanting to tell him my good news.

"Kace, I got you a souvenir." I smirk.

"Oh really?" Kace tries to playback but I can tell he's confused.

"Really." I say as I hold up the bronze medal around my neck in front of the camera.

"You got me.. a medal." He was confused but then it clicked and his eyes lit up, "You got a medal!!!" His camera shifted so he was sitting more upright.

"Yep, you are friends with the third best skater in this section of  America." I say with a smile across my face.

"Chesa! That's amazing!" Kace said so excitedly it made me giggle, "I knew you could do it! I'm SO proud of you!"

"Thank you Kace." His words making my heart soar, "But you did help."

"No Chesa I did nothing. That was all you. I just faced you in the direction which you took all by yourself and ACED it!."

I laugh at his enthusiasm. I play with the edge of my jacket, "Well my dad and coach are happy. They are celebrating very drunk right now actually."

"Hmmm... Well I guess it's easier to be supportive when everything is going right." Kace mumbles out. I realize how true and wise that statement is.

"Well thank you for being supportive when everything, well, was going downhill fast." I say to Kace wanting him to know I appreciate him, "You are a good friend." I wish you were more.

"Awe Chesa you are getting all sappy on me." Kace joked around, "Making me blush!"

I shake my head Kace's fooling around. I don't think he takes praise that easily.

I yawn and try to shake the tiredness away.

"Well looks like being a champion is tiring work. I'll let you get some rest. I need to get to work on being champion English paper writer." Kace says to me. I really didn't want to let him go but I knew I needed my rest and he needed to work.

"Good night. And I believe you can be the best English paper writer in your class!" I say to Kace.

"Only in my class? I'm shocked Chesa! That's the only support I get?"

"Well, it is English. And you know how you do in English..." I joke with Kace. He did once tell me English was his worse subject. But worse for Kace meant As instead of A+.

"I don't think I'm ever speaking to you again!" Kace said dramatically. He turned his head away from the camera like a two-year-old throwing a fit. I laugh at his behavior. He stays there in silence for awhile.

"Bye Kace." I say to him.

He turns his face back to the camera and gives me a heart-stopping smile, "Bye Beautiful."

I stare at the black phone screen. He just called me beautiful than hung up.