Heaven or Hell

"Welcome again Mr Tanker and Mark. Shall the adults go to the bar for refreshments. Mark, why don't you go through to the living room where Chesa and our other guest is." I hear my mom say in the foyer.

I look over at Kace giving him look saying "ready?". He gives a small nod and we are ready to face the beast. Mark walks in and it takes him a second to take the room in then a smirk plays on his evil little face.

"Hey Baby." I Ignore his greeting. His eyes move to Kace and his eyebrows shoot up. Realization comes on his face, "Well, well, well if it isn't the little annoying nerd? I wonder why you are... oh wait could YOU be the scholarship student?" Mark walks towards Kace is an invasive matter. Kace stood up taller not backing down, "Well isn't this interesting?"

Before anything happens I grab Marks arm and pull him into the far side of the room, "Stop it Mark. We have to talk." I state in a harsh voice.

Mark steps closer to me, "It's been a while since we've been this close."

Suddenly a body is in between me and Marl, "And it's going to stay that way." Kace is glaring up in Mark's direction. And Mark returns to the glare.

"Kace," I say and touch his arm, "Remember the directive." Kace looks at me then pulls back but still stands protectively by my side. I would be lying if I said his protectiveness didn't thrill me.

Mark looks between us trying to figure out what's going on.

"Look we need to keep that you or I know Kace on the down low." I say. I add, "For me?"

I was hoping we could leave it at that but no Mark had to be a jerk like usual.

"Why would I do that?" Mark said looking suspiciously between us.

"I just don't want to jeopardize Kace's scholarship because we are friends. That's all." I shrug. Mark looks at me with a devious face.

"What do I get out of it, Chesa darling?" Mark takes a step towards me and as he does that Kace instinctively moves more in front of me. Mark's eyes spark with understanding, "Hmm could it be mommy and daddy don't approve of such a low life for their daughter's crush?"

Dangit! I was hoping to avoid this. Mark's question is answered when we both stay silent. What was I suppose to say?

Mark now having the upper hand started waking around the room looking interested in looking around. I shifted back and forth waiting for someone to speak. Maybe it should be me?

"I could go tell your parents what I know right now and damage your precious boyfriends future but.." Mark turned to look at us, a glint in his eyes, "I'll make a deal with you."

I swallow in nervousness knowing this can go nowhere good, "What kind of deal?"

Mark starts moving toward us, "You, as my girlfriend."

"No." "Fine." Kace and I say at the same time.

Mark raises his eyebrows and starts moving toward the exit, "Alright then I guess I'll just go talk to your parents.."

"No! Wait just a second." I say as Mark stops in his tracks. I pull Kace to the other side of the room while he just glares in Mark's direction.

Before I even talk Kace blurts out, "No, Chesa I'm not letting you date HIM because of me."

"Kace just listen." I state. The next part I whisper, "Look I only have to be his girlfriend until you get to scholarship then they can't take it away just because of me. You'll be under contact."

Kace huffs, "I still don't like it."

"Look me either." I say honestly, "But I'm not gunna jeopardize your education because I happen to fall for you."

Kace gives me an almost pleading look. I give him back a knowing look, "Mark's a jerk. What else can we do?"

"Alright."

I give Kace almost a sad smile.

We turn back to a knowing Mark.

"Alright we accept." I force the words out of my mouth.

Mark flashes a smile, "Great!"

Kace steps forward, "But that doesn't mean you can force her to do anything phyical. No hand holding, no kissing, no hugging, nothing. This is strictly business. If I hear you lay a hand on her you will have me to deal with. I work with blades and know how to drive the zamboni."

"Yikes! Nerd boy here sounds jealous." Mark says with fake enthusiasm, "Calm yourself. I won't touch her. I just need her fathers name to help me. I'm not entirely interested in Chesa that way. But I'll do my best."

Mark had an edge to his voice at the end almost to edge Kace on. The air in the room got tense and I was ready to pounce if anyone made a move. Fortunately my mom entered the room.

"Hey guys, everyone get well acquainted?" My mom asked ironically. Kace nor Mark made a move to answer since the were in a deep staring contest.

"Ya, We're getting along great." I answered hoping my mom wouldn't hear the bit of sarcasm in my answer.

"Good, well dinner is ready." My mom said and motioned us to come with her.

Mark broke the stare and looked at my mom, "I'm starved. Can't wait to see what a lovely meal you prepared us. I have a feeling this evening is going to be great."

That's funny, I was thinking the opposite.