Chapter 3

Erik felt good about being a part of something as important as his new project. He spent most of his free time either working on it. It turned out voicing your ideas wasn't the hardest part. Fighting for them and making others not only hear but actually do something about it, that was even more difficult. And Erik was learning this new lesson the hard way. Meetings and discussions, working more and more. He never took a day off, dedicating his every second to making this possible.

"You work too much." He heard Charles' voice and lifted his head instantly up.

"What? What do you mean?"

"It's Friday and it's late and you're still here."

"What are you talking about? It's only--" he glanced at the clock on his computer. "Oh."

"Yep. It's after midnight."

Erik frowned. "I had a few things to finish up." he insisted stubbornly.

"You are a workaholic, Erik." Charles said fondly. "It's a great goal but you need to rest too."

"Why?"

"Pardon?"

"Why do I need to rest? What I'm trying to do matters. No one else is going to do it if not us. I'm good at it. Why should I rest? If anything I should not rest until I get it done! While I still have the chance..."

Charles was silently frowning at him. "Um. I agree with you. Of course. But overworking yourself won't make your brain more productive."

"You sound like my mother." Erik mumbled.

Charles chuckled. "Your mother sounds like a really intelligent woman. You should listen to her."

A shadow passed over Erik's face. He blinked rapidly and returned to staring at the laptop screen.

"I only have one more thing to check. A senator that could support us officially and--"

"You get your five more minutes, but after that, bedtime!"

Erik rolled his eyes stubbornly but the edges of his mouth were curling up on their own accord.

Five minutes later Erik turned off the computer and prepared for leaving.

"There. Happy now?" he told Charles.

Charles nodded. "Mhm. Much better."

They walked towards the exit together.

"What are you doing in here this late anyway?" Erik asked.

"Same as you." he shrugged. "I think Jean Grey's your woman."

"She's not a senator." Erik said, keeping the door open for Charles to walk out first.

"She's not a senator now. But she will be. I think there's a pretty good chance for that."

"She's a mutant and I'm sorry to say that, Charles, but people distrust telepaths."

Charles sighed. "I know. But I also know she's a decent human being who's actually saved lives. And I mean, literally. That crashing building incident, remember? It raised her popularity."

Erik considered it. "That's a good point. We should talk to her."

"She's already pro-mutant, obviously. It's simply a matter of--"

"-- getting her on our side officially."

Charles nodded with a smile. "Exactly. And I have a few humans in the Senate that I know are pro-mutant."