Chapter 16

Things went back to normal quicker than Erik had anticipated. His mother was so happy he was back, and so was Azazel. Erik was truly glad to see them too.

At school he'd became sort of famous after his incredibly successful public debate.

Erik used his current 'influence' to create a mutant and human rights club called The Brotherhood (which was basically his and Azazel's old joke of a club, taken to new heights). The teachers and the principal gave him their full support which was probably because of his connection to Raven. Before that the only thing they used to give him was an order to be quiet. He found their sudden change of direction amusing and hypocritical but it was still in his favor so he was not about to complain.

The students stopped calling him a mutie freak or a weirdo. Many joined The Brotherhood, mutant and human students of all genders. Erik was pleased. He began transforming his community and with it the world, step by step, like he wanted.

Things were going really well in Erik's life.

And soon enough he was already officially fifteen. He didn't do anything special for his birthday. He mostly kept quiet about it because he didn't want people waiting for an invitation.Their attention was still too new and strange for him to trust them this quickly. He was content with receiving greetings and gifts from his mother and Azazel, celebrating with them, a skype session with Raven and a beautifully wrapped present sent by Charles and delivered by mail. Then he texted Charles till little after midnight. It was a quiet 15th birthday but Erik had the best time ever.

~*~

"Erik, dinner's ready." Edie called. She knocked on his door and showed her head inside to find her son grinning at his phone. "Erik, dinner." she repeated.

"Be right there." Erik replied, not looking up from his typing.

She tilted her head, smiling. "What are you doing?"

"Texting Charles."

"Charles? Your... your friend Charles? From New York?"

"Yep."

She fidgeted at the door as if hesitating about something.

"Um... Erik?" she finally uttered. "I-- I don't know exactly what... what happened between you and Charles while you were in New York..."

Erik looked up, instantly taken aback by her words, by what they were hinting at.

"I-- I'm just saying--"

"Nothing happened, mama. Nothing bad. Charles is not like that. So whatever you think is going on, you're wrong." he said defensively.

She exhaled. "Erik, you're not in New York anymore. And you're not 30." she said firmly.

Erik clenched his phone reflexively. "We're only texting, mama. You know what Charles did for me! You know how much he helped us."

"I know that, but I don't think continuing to talk with him is a good idea."

"Why?" he asked almost furiously.

She sucked in a deep breath. "Okay. I didn't want to say it but I think he's in love with you."

Erik pursed his lips. Of course he knew that Charles was in love with him. They didn't talk about it much but it was always there in their texts, always implied even if not spoken aloud. But he didn't want to tell his mother that.

"And I understand that you feel very strongly for him too, and the way you met was a bit peculiar, putting you both in a strange and unusual position. But things have changed now. And obviously nothing can happen. This can't go anywhere."