Chapter 12

Edie Lehnsherr took a small break from her working at home to make another coffee for herself. The TV was on mute in the background. She took up the habit of keeping it turned on so that her home didn't feel so empty. Her boy was happy, that was all that mattered. She wasn't selfish to wish him to turn his back to his dreams and return to her. She had spent all her time supporting him, she wasn't going to stop now because she missed him and because she was lonely.

As she prepared the coffee she heard a knock on the door. For a brief moment she entertained the idea that this was Erik, coming to visit her as he promised. But then she quickly sobered up from this illusion. Erik would not knock. He would just flick the door open with his mutation to show off. She smiled fondly even if a little melancholic and went to let her guest in.

"Azazel!"

That was a surprise. The little red-skinned boy was standing awkwardly at her front door, looking nervous.

"Is something wrong? Can I help you?" Edie asked.

She hadn't really seen Azazel properly ever since Erik disappeared. And even then it was mostly Azazel freaking out and running to his room.

"Nothing's wrong exactly..." Azazel muttered. But he did look quite worried.

"Why don't you come in?" Edie offered. "Do you want something to drink? I have banana juice and hot chocolate."

Azazel gave her a small smile. "Banana juice was Erik's favourite." he said.

Edie suppressed a sigh. "Yes, it is. I kept buying new cartons. I don't know why..."

She did know why.

Azazel knew why too.

Neither of them discussed it any further.

Azazel sat down at the kitchen table, hunching on himself, looking small.

"Should I call your mother?" Edie offered but the boy interrupted her.

"Where is he, Mrs. Lehnsherr? Where's Erik?"

His voice sounded as though he was trying really hard not to cry. Edie felt sorry for him. Her son's friend was not a naturally shy or reclusive person but the bright red color of his skin, his tail and his appearance as a whole ostracized him in school and in the neighborhood. Sometimes she even wondered if his own parents cared for him much, being humans and not quite so fond of having people think their son looked like a devil. That was only some of the talk in the neighborhood. Edie had heard some pretty nasty things said about poor Azazel. No doubt that contributed to his self-forced isolation. He was a good boy but that did not always serve as a protection shield from people's hatred and bigotry. It was another thing that infuriated Erik. The injustice of it all. Her son had always protected Azazel. With Erik around Azazel became braver, too, and not so alone. But now, nearly 5 months later... The red-skinned boy hardly left his room during most of these months.

"Do you know where he is, Mrs. Lehnsherr? Or at least if he' alright? He hasn't contacted me and I was wondering if he did call you, apart from that note I had to deliver to you from him. Do you know if he's ever coming back--" his voice broke and he bit down his lower lip hard, trying to get a hold of himself.

Edie realized she hadn't replied yet. Her hand rested on the boy's back, in attempt to comfort him. "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you, Azazel." she replied quietly.

Erik's story was not something she could just tell people after all. Even to Erik's friends. Not without Erik's permission. And as much as it pained her to see the pain in Azazel's eyes, pain similar to the one she herself felt, she could not explain that her son had turned into a grown-up overnight and was now living on his own, away from her, possibly forever.