Chapter 19

Kitty Pryde was hungry. She was starving. But she was also late this morning so she had no time for proper breakfast. Now, Kitty was aware that if she explained this to the Professor he would understand and totally send her to get food. But she didn't want that. She wanted him to know she was prompt and dependable. So she remained behind her desk, doing her work and dreaming of a nice big sandwich.

The Professor already looked kinda miserable today. There were dark circles under his eyes as if he hadn't slept all night and he seemed distracted, not really paying attention to anything Kitty said. It was safe to say that he was not himself today. Which was very unusual for him because he always found it in himself to concentrate on work-related issues. But today... today was different. She tried asking if he was alright but he brushed it off as insignificant and she had to just let it go.

She was counting the minutes till her lunch break when a young tall man in a turtleneck showed up like a shadow above her desk, claiming he had to see the Professor.

Kitty narrowed her eyes at him. "Do you have an appointment?"

"Not exactly. But he did invite me." the man replied.

"I'm afraid you'll need an appointment in order to get a meeting." Kitty announced.

The man chuckled for some reason, as if having a private joke with himself. Was she doing it wrong? She wasn't supposed to amuse him!

"Look, I know you're doing your job but I'm here because Professor Xavier invited me himself. He's expecting me so you could say I have an appointment of sorts. We have a meeting."

She was still unconvinced. She didn't want to bother the Professor, especially when she saw how strange he behaved all morning. Did that perhaps had something to do with this meeting he was expecting?

"I was not informed of this." she said out loud.

"Well, maybe you should ask him." The man suggested.

"Very well." Kitty pursed her lips, not too thrilled about it. "Name?"

"Tell him Max Eisenheardt is here to see him." the man said with a slight smirk as if his own name amused him.

"Right." Kitty said unimpressed and picked up the phone.

~*~

Charles was freaking out. He had been freaking out ever since that unfortunate invitation he made. He could not believe he actually agreed to a meeting with Max Eisenhardt! The last person on Earth Charles ever wanted to see! And that night not only did he agree to a meeting, he also suggested it! He invited Max here! Max hadn't forced his way in. Max was actually a quite decent guy who backed off when Charles told him to. And now... Why did Charles invite him? Was he out of his mind!? One lonely sleepless night and now he had to accept the consequences of those unfortunate decisions. He was waiting for a stranger who until recently behaved like a weirdo.

On the bright side, he did tell Max this was strictly professional. And it was. He had no reasons to freak out.

The phone rang and Charles' heart jumped startled.

"Yes, Kitty?" He answered it.

"Professor, a Max Eisenhardt is here waiting for you." Kitty said over the phone.

"Right. Tell him to come in, please." Charles replied. He could hear his voice wavering a little as he spoke, despite his efforts to control it.

He hung up and spread his telepathy to feel the mind outside his office. It wasn't a matter of reading the man's mind, but more like getting a general feeling of it. Each mind was unique and alight with different aura of sorts. Charles was curious to know Max's.