Chapter 4: Muted

++++++

Luna exited her English class with a boy and two girls who were her paired up with her for a group project. Luna laughed at a joke the guy, Max, was telling her. She turned her head and spotted Scott by his locker.

Luna knew this was the perfect time to talk to Scott about their relationship.

"Luna?"

Luna turned back to Max. 

"We're heading to the library to grab the books we will need for the project. You in?" Luna turned to look back at Scott again. "I will meet up with you three later. I have to go talk to Scott." "Alright, we'll see you later." Max said before leaving with the two girls. Luna then made her way over to Scott.

Scott caught a faint scent of lavender and turned his head to the right and smiled at Luna who was now standing in front of him. 

"Hi," she breathed out.

"Hi," Scott breathed out.

"Hi."

"Hi."

 The two chuckled and smiled at each other. 

"Is everything okay?" Scott asked. Luna nodded. "Yeah. I just-" she let out a breath. "I actually wanted to talk to you about something. Is now the best time?" Scott nodded. "Yeah. Of course. So, what did-"

Scott heard panting and turned to his left to find Stiles standing there. "Scott, I've been looking for you everywhere man." He finally got his breath back and stood up straighter and noticed Scott and Luna looking at him with concern. "Oh, hey, Luna. You're here too. That's great. I have news to tell you two."

Stiles quickly told them what he found.

"An axe murderer?" Luna asked when he finished.

"A family murdering axe murderer." Stiles corrected. But Scott shook his head. "I already heard about it." "Wait, what? You did, how?" Stiles asked stiffening up.

"My mom called me. She knew we'd see it on the news," he muttered as they got to his locker.  "Perfect. Let's go," Stiles said before starting to head off.

"Hold it," Scott said stopping him. "We got Econ in five minutes." "All right. Did you forget the part about the family-murdering axe murderer?"

"Did you forget that your dad's the Sheriff? They want us to stay out of it." Scott was all for staying out like his mother wanted. Things were crazy enough already with Kate and if he wanted to get some degree of normalcy back then they couldn't go looking for more things to complicate it.

But Stiles wasn't having it. "Are you guys kidding me? There's a family murdering axe murderer and we're not going to do anything about it?" "Maybe we should let the adults handle it?" Luna suggested, backing up Scott.

Stiles just looked back and forth at the two of them, not believing his ears. "So the two of you, you just want to stay here at school and go to class? I never heard anything so irresponsible in my life," he said before walking off.

"See you at tryouts," Scott called out after them as Stiles just waved his arm off in response.

"You think he'll be okay?" Luna asked as she watched him walk off.

"Stiles will be fine." The bell rang and Scott quickened his pace in changing his books. "Uh so you know that thing you wanted to talk about?" Before Stiles had come to them, Luna said that she wanted to talk to Scott about something.

Luna nodded. "Yeah."

"Uh, can we talk later, after tryouts, do you mind waiting? It won't be that long."