Chapter 8: Weaponized

++++++

In the school hallway, there were a line of juniors who were waiting to be let in to take the PSAT. Among them were the pack and they were trying to calmly and quietly pass the time. Kira suddenly looked around as she noticed someone was missing.

"Where's Lydia?" she asked them. "Shouldn't she be here?"

"She already took it her freshman year," Stiles told her.

Malia narrowed her eyes at him. "Does that mean I could've taken it some other time?" Scott gave her a look. "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us." "Doesn't mean I'm going to do good," she all but spat out.

"Well," Stiles mumbled.

"Well what?" she asked.

"Uh, it's do well, not do good," he explained to her. "Oh, God," she huffed at him. Luna slapped Stiles' arm. "Sorry," he said backing off. 

"Hey," Scott cut in. "You're doing this because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live. If I survive high school I'd like to go to college. A good college." 

Kira shrugged. "It's only three hours," she pointed out. "We can survive three hours." Stiles sighed. "Knock on some wood." "Guys, it's okay. We'll be okay." Scott assured his friends.

Luna nodded, "Besides, what's a test compared to some assassins?" she told them.

That actually made Kira smile a bit before the door of the classroom opened. The test proctor stepped out into the hall.

"Please step inside," he said to everyone.

One by one, the students filed into the classroom where there was a stack of test booklets set up on a desk next to Lydia's mother, who was assisting. 

Luna felt her phone vibrate and she quickly took out. She saw that she got a message from Liam but didn't have time to read it as Lydia's mom, Ms. Martin cleared her throat.

Luna looked up at her. "Cell phone in the envelope, Luna. You'll get it back after the test." Sighing, Luna gave Ms. Martin her cell phone to be placed in a bin before moving to sit behind Scott. 

"Please do not open your test booklets until you are instructed to do so," the proctor announced as the last student put their cellphone away. 

"The test is two hours and ten minutes. There will be two twenty-five minute  critical reading sections. Two twenty-five minute math sections. And an essay writing portion that will last thirty minutes." He then looked over at Ms. Martin. "There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam."

She stiffened. "Uh, I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly, punctual." Natalie reached for her phone. "Let me just try him again." She then grabbed her phone to try and call for him out in the hall. She started to look for his information when her eyes fell on the door on Coach's office.

She sighed as she decided to check there first. She opened the door and peeked inside and found that Coach Finstock seemed to be passed out at his desk. 

"Bobby," she said gently to him as she moved to try and stir him awake. He turned his head and was barely able to look at her. He was foaming a little bit at the mouth as his head started to wobble back for the desk. "Oh Bobby, fifteen years sober and you fall off the wagon at school?" 

"Nat-" Coach started but couldn't finish as he seemed to pass  out.

She sighed. "I'll bring you coffee during one of the breaks," she said giving up. "Fifteen years Bobby." At that, she left him to try and sleep it off while she went back to the classroom.