Chapter 18: A Novel Approach

++++++

Scott was resting on his bed, his arms around Luna, but was having trouble getting to sleep. After leaving the hospital, he and Luna had gone back to his place to try and rest. But Scott's min was still on what happened tonight at the club. Those three men in the masks, they had to have been who Malia had been talking about. They had shown up and killed Lucas, so quickly and casually. "His condition was terminal." That was what the man who who killed him had said and they called him a failure. 

Then there was what happened with Kira. If he hadn't stopped her, she would've driven her sword straight in for Lucas' heart. Before he could decide what to do, his phone started beeping. He reached for it, making Luna wake up as she turned to look at him.

"What's wrong?" she asked him.

Scott saw that there was an intruder alert sent to his phone. "It's the alarm at the animal clinic. I think it's a break-in."

++++++

The next morning, over in the library, Luna was over at the photocopier, making multiple copies of the book's pages and organizing them to give out to everyone. As she finished with the last one, Scott came up to her.

"Done?" 

"Done," she nodded. 

As she left the machine, the librarian came over and threw Luna a short and annoyed look. She then moved to put a sign on the machine indicating that it was out of ink. "Sorry," she quickly apologized before she walked off with Scott.

"I don't think the Dread Doctors are the ones stealing the bodies," he told her. Luna scoffed. "We're really calling them that?" Scott kept going like she hadn't said anything. "Think about it. They killed Tracy and walked away. They killed Lucas and walked away. Why would they leave and come back to take the bodies?"

Luna shrugged. "Someone else has to be taking them." Scott narrowed his eyes. "But the bodies aren't just bodies. They're...failures." "So, if the Chimeras are all failures, what's the success going to be?" Scott dreaded to find out. "Bad. Probably really bad."

They made it to the door but Scott suddenly stopped. He looked back out at the library with a troubled look on his face.

"What's wrong?" Luna asked him.

"I thought I smelled blood." Yet, everything in the library seemed normal. There was nothing to show that anything was happening. He then shook his head. "Forget it. Must've imagined it." 

But Scott hadn't imagined it. He had smelled some leftover blood from the previous night. Luna narrowed her eyes at him. She could smell the freshly scented blood but didn't want to tell Scott, fearing that he would think she was crazy.

Scott and Luna then left and went to look for Theo so they could update him on what was happening. They found him and the three went to the boy's locker room where they knew they could be alone for a little while. There, they went and gave him a copy of the book right before they told him everything that had happened after the attack at the station by Tracy.

Theo was attentive and acted as if everything they were telling him was all news to him. "Sorry but I'd never even heard of the Kanima until a few days ago," he calmly told them after they had finished explaining. He then looked at the stack of papers in his hand. "You want me to read this?"

Scott shook his head. "Well, not yet. I'm still only on chapter one." "You guys do this a lot, huh?" he asked him. Scott blinked. "Do what?" "Get involved." Scott then shrugged. "Yeah, I guess." 

"What about the author?" Theo asked. "If he knew all about these guys, shouldn't we be talking to him?" "Yeah, we thought about that, but it's pretty much a dead end." Theo nodded before he started flipping through the pages. He suddenly stopped at the end. "What about this guy?"