CHAPTER 4: About Last Night

<<ANGIE>>

       Luke explained to me about why I needed to stay here. I didn't want to be a burden to anybody, but looks like I had no choice in leaving or anything. I wish he could've told me who was coming after me and why they were. I mean, I know that my brother was in a gang. But, what would anyone want with me? I'm a nobody. 

       I woke up and got dressed and went to the kitchen. James was still sleeping so I thought I would make him some breakfast to apologize for last night. Though as I opened the fridge, I saw nothing but beer, a couple of Chinese food boxes of left overs and a pizza box. But that was it. Typical single-man fridge. I bet he doesn't even have any cookware. But yet, low and behold, I found some underneath the stove in a cupboard. 

       Still, if I was gonna make a good breakfast, I needed ingredients. I figured I would go grocery shopping later. But for now, I decided to order from Denny's using Uber Eats and not sure in what he likes or if he's even a breakfast eater, I just ordered 2 of the American Grand Slams that had a little bit of everything. 

       By the time he had woken up, the food delivery guy left. I heard his bedroom door open up and I heard him groan a little bit while rubbing his eyes and yawning. He looked a little hung over with his hair all messed up and everything. 

       I had just finished plating everything and removing the lids off the milk and OJ that I got, when I look up and see him leaning against the door frame and looking at me with a raised eyebrow. 

       "What's all this?" He asked tiredly. 

       "Well, you didn't have any food or I would have made breakfast and not knowing what you liked, I just ordered a little bit of everything." I smiled. 

       He rubs the back of his neck and then starts walking over towards me. 

       "You didn't have to do that." He says. 

       "I know. But, it's just that I wanted to apologize about last night. I didn't know Luke hadn't told you and I'm also sorry, that I um....that I interrupted....." I seemed to be stumbling over my words. So he interrupts and finishes my sentence for me. 

       "For cock blocking me?!" He finished. 

       I began to blush. "Yes, THAT." I replied. 

       He shrugs his shoulders. "It is what it is. It's not like I can't get laid anytime I wan't."

      Of course. He's always been a player. After Luke confirmed that it was James that I knew back when I was sixteen, I started to tell myself that I had to forget about whatever happened back then. Cause it's in the past. I needed to move on as I noticed he apparently did. We used to talk about running away together and he promised that he would come back for me one day. But he never did. 

       However, I can't think about the past right now. I needed to focus on the now and how he's just a friend of my brother and cousin. That's it. Nothing more.

       He comes and grabs a glass of OJ and one of the plates, as do I and we walk over towards the little round table he has for dining. I guess he doesn't have guests come over. 

       We began eating in silence at first. And every so often, I would catch him looking at me. Til finally, I said something. 

       "What?" I asked him. 

       He shakes his head. "Nothing." He then goes back to eating. 

       Not entirely believing him I just say, "OK..." I take a drink of my OJ as we share another moment of awkward silence with each other. Then I hear him talk to me. 

       "I'll give you some money to get some food, if you wan't." He offers. 

      "I have money. But just let me know what you like and don't and i'll just go from there." I smile. 

       "Fine." He replies, still avoiding eye contact with me. 

       "So, Luke tells me you're an artist and own your own tattoo shop." I say, trying to make small talk. 

        "Yeah." he replies while finishing his plate off and drinking the rest of his OJ then gets up and takes his dishes to the sink and takes out his phone and looks at it. Which I know he's just really pretending to read messages so that he could avoid talking anymore to me. 

        Which I can't lie. It kind of hurt. But I didn't think much about it. I was the inconvenient guest. I was his burden. 

        I decided in that moment that I would try and stay out of his way. 

        Well, at least I had my work that would keep me busy. 

        I'm a makeup artist and am recently working on special effects type characters. My project right now, that I'm working on for a friend, is Abraham Lincoln as a zombie. 

       James gets ready and before leaving for work, tells me that I can give him a call or shoot him a text if I need to. 

***********************************************************************************************

<<JAMES>>

       I woke up feeling like shit. Though I know why I do. I know it's because I drank too much. But I couldn't help it. I didn't want to think about Tucker and all the shit I was feeling. And I'm not someone who let's myself FEEL. 

        When I woke up though, I rubbed my eyes and sat up in my bed before lighting up a cigarette. 

       Right as I light one up, I begin to smell something really good. I blow out some smoke before getting up and start heading towards my bedroom door. 

        Though I suddenly remember that Angie's here. She hates smoking. So I take one final puff and put it out in the ash tray that's on my dresser. 

        'Wait, this is MY house. I can do what I want.' I thought to myself. But before I could light up another cigarette, that amazing smell has me opening up my door and walking towards it. 

        I saw Angie plating some food onto a couple of plates that I read on the bag she ordered from Denny's. 

        I thought she looked so cute and beautiful. It was almost as though she had made breakfast herself. 

       I quickly shake those thoughts from my head as I lean against the door frame and try to wake myself up a little more. 

       During breakfast, we talked a little bit. Well, not very much actually. Besides, I was starving and I needed to hurry up anyways and get ready for work. 

       She tried making small talk, but I just couldn't do it. I didn't feel comfortable. 

       So I finished what was left on my plate and my OJ, then got up and put my dishes in the sink. I felt a little awkward, so I looked down at my phone and started pretending to look through messages. 

       Then I went to my room to get ready for work. 

       It may have been rude and a dick move, not saying anything to her. But I just need to look out for her. That's it. No going back into our past. She's just my late best friends sister that would be gone in just a couple of months. 

       After I got ready and was about to head out the door, I went towards her bedroom door and knocked. 

       "Yes?" She answered. 

       "I'm headed off to work. So just text or call me if you need anything." I told her. 

       "Okay. Thanks." She replied. 

NEW CHAPTER ABOUT TO BE POSTED!!