Chapter 17

Dominic kissed me harder then picked me up taking me back to the blanket. He set us down then he starts putting food on our plates. I threw my leg over his and began eating my food. I can feel him staring at me but I don't pay attention, I watch the sunset in the distance. The array of colors are beautiful. I can't even think of the the last time I actually watched the sun set.

"You're so beautiful." Dominic says bringing my hand to his lips. "The sunset makes you look like a goddess." He whispers leaning in to kiss my collar bone. My hand trails up to his hair gently running through it as his arms wrap around me for a hug. I can feel his lips still being pressed to my collar bone as he digs his face into my neck even further.

"I love you, Dom." I mumble still running my fingers through his hair. He looks up at me with a small smile leaning in kissing one of my cheeks, going to the other, kissing my nose, my chin, then he holds his kiss for a long time on my forehead while gently pulling my head closer to him. "Tell me why you have your rose tattoo please." I beg while looking into his soft blue eyes. He nods while putting both our plates down and pulling me down to lie with him.

We lay in silence until the sunlight is completely gone. I hear him take a deep breath before grabbing my hand and speaking. "My mom's name was Rosaline Van Gold. My father married her after he was charged with murder, theft, drug dealing, so on, so on. Well she got him an easy way out because she was his lawyer, the court found out and fired her, they also tried throwing her in federal prison. Since she helped my father out he helped her escape the laws. Kind of like the Joke and Quinn person you guys have stories about?

That causes me to giggle, he meant The Joker and Harley Quinn. "After they got married everyone knew that the dangerous mafia leader had a wife. Years passed and they had me, their only son. My mother always stayed home to care for me and we were only separated when my father had to train me. One night my father and I didn't come home on time so she ordered some men to help her look for us. We were locked up in a wearhouse because we went out a little too far and got captured. This wasn't a big deal because I was fourteen or fifteen. I knew what to do.

"She and about seven men ran into the wearhouse with guns not aware that we already had a plan to get out and that the gang leader was waiting for them. My mother ran straight up to us to untie us, she got as far as kissing both our foreheads before she was shot and killed. We killed the gang leader and gang, it didn't help us feel any better so we got tattoos of roses because everyone called her their Rose. She was so amazing."

The end of the story had me in tears. She went to rescue them, kissed them, and got killed right there. "I'm so sorry, Dominic." I whisper hearing my own voice crack. He shakes his head and pulls me into him so we're cuddling. A few tears escape but I try holding it together for him. I know it still hurts him or it wouldn't have taken so long for him to tell me.

That's why they're protective over me. One of the only women to get involved with the mafia wanted to save her husband and child and was killed right in front of them. They dont want me knowing things so I don't do the same. He won't let me do things on my own because he knows I could get shot and killed.

We start packing our food up because we hear thunder deciding it'd probably be best to head home. Just as we started walking to the car it starts pouring. Dominic grabs me up throwing me over his shoulder along with the duffle bag on his other shoulder before running to the car. He runs to my side, literally throws me in while tossing them bag in my lap then runs to his side. I slam my door shut just as he gets in. "Check the food." He laughs.

I look through all of it, they're squished but not wet. "They're good." I say before laughing myself. "Did you seriously just throw me over your shoulder and sprint to the car without any struggle?" I laugh harder as he nods. Before I can say anything else he's laughing again and trailing his finger along my bra strap.