Chapter 1: Goodbye

Vote and comment, want to know what you think! Thank you,xx

Chapter 1

"Lily-Rose James you'd better not still be in bed!" My mom shouts, waking me from my sleep for the second time this morning. I look over at the clock on my bedside table and see that I have an hour and a half to get dressed and leave the house. I turn over and enjoy the warm comfort of my bed as it protects me from reality. My skin brushes the soft fabric as I roll over and I know I should get up, I will get up, just one more minute...
"Rose, get your fat arse out of bed!" Ollie, my older brother shouts at the door, banging on it repeatedly. I don't actually know why he calls me Rosie when my name is lily, but he has done it ever since I can remember. I roll my eyes and groan loudly, making sure he hears me.
"Leave me and my fat arse alone!" I shout back, pulling myself out of my bed. I immediatley feel vulnerable as the cold morning air engulfs me, making me shiver. I hate mornings. Dragging myself out of my room, I take the clothes I left out last night and the toiletry bag I had already packed with me, as I make my way to the bathrrom for a quick shower.
As the cold water washes over me, I roll my eyes, the shower is one thing I won't miss about this house. It's about the only thing I won't miss. I've been dreading moving out ever since I got the job in London, ever since I realised I would be leaving my mom to live alone. When I was twelve, my mother found out that my father had been having an affair and so she kicked him out of the house and so it was down to my mom to provide for me and my brother.
My brother changed after that, he became protective, the man of the house. He never had a girlfriend, he always said that he only had room in his life for me and my mom and he started to work a lot, so there was less pressure on her. It was hard when he left for university. I had to get a job as well but I didn't mind, I liked being able to do something to make things easier. Ollie has promised me that when I leave, he will come home every chance he gets, so mom isn't alone, and I promised the same.
I get out of the shower and wrap myself in a fluffy towel, using it as protection from the morning air. Once I have dried myself and changed into my clothes, I return to my room where I pack the rest of my last minute things in my bag, ready for Ollie to take to the car. Unfortunately, I don't own my own car so Ollie is driving me down and since my job is across the road from my flat, I won't need a car to get there.

I jog downstairs, grab a piece of toast from the kitchen and help Ollie as he loads all of my belongings into the car.
"I'm so proud of you sweetheart, I'll miss you so much," my mom says, hugging me tightly outside the front door. I return the hug. not really wanting to let go.
"I'll miss you too, I love you mom." She wipes a tear from her eye and smiles. One thing everybdy knows about my mom, is that she smiles all the time. She has always been a happy person, even though she has had to deal with some bad things, she always found a silver lining.
"I love you too sweetie," she whispers, hugging me one last to me before I get in the car, driving away from everything I have ever known.

"Cheer up Rosie, you're meant to be happy your leaving home, you know, freedom and all that?" I smile sadly at Ollie, who has a worried expression on his face.
"I'm sorry, I just hating leaving her on her own, maybe I should stay and get another job," I suggest and he rolls his eyes, shaking his head.
"You are going to London, where you will work as a paid intern at William White's publishing company across the road from where you are going to live. I refuse to let you give something like this up, we're too proud of you." I can't help but smile at him. I've always wanted a job to do with writing or books, so when my teacher recommended me to this place and they agreed to let me work as a paid intern, it was like a dream come true.
"You're right, I'm sorry, I'll be more excited," I try but he sees right through me, like he always does. I think Ollie is the one person who knows me inside out, who knows me better than I know myself sometimes.
"This should help," he says, playing some of my favourite music as loud as he can. Then, he proceeds to roll all the windows down, letting the warm air of June blow through. Suddenly, out of nowhere, he starts to sing," I bet that you look good on the dance floor!!" Even though his singing is out of tune, out of time and reminds me of the sounds a seal makes when being killed by a polar bear, it makes me laugh harder than I have in a long time. I join in with him and laugh at the dirty looks we get from every person we drive past.
This is why I love Ollie so much, even though he was the one who would interrogate any boy I brought home, he was also the one who would buy me the ice cream when they broke my heart (or so I thought back then) and tell me that no boy would ever be good enough for me as he tickled me until I couldn't breathe. He is the best brother I could ask for.
After what seems like days, Ollie finally tells me that way have arrived and I breathe a sigh of relief as I look at the building in front of me.
"You go ahead, ill get some of the bags, room 223 right?" I nod and walk inside, using the lift to get to the third floor.

I find the room easily and use my new key to open the door, but I am greeted by shouting, swearing and things being thrown around, smashing into tiny pieces. What the hell?