Chapter 22: The Cure

"Why did you go to them?" Ollie asks, looking down at me. My answer isn't straightforward, because I can't tell him that they had the cure that would make the man I love mortal again, but I still went because my family were in danger.

"They told me they would kill you all if I didn't go, I had no choice," I whisper, still not a lot of energy in my body.

"You should have told some one who could help, why didn't you? Nathan is in the police, why didn't you tell him?" His name, even to hear it sends pains through chest.

"I couldn't, not in the beginning, but I called him and he heard what they were planning, I had a plan," I explain but he stands up, pacing around the room.

"That plan could have gone wrong and they could have killed you," he pleads, looking heartbroken. I shrug, ignoring the pain shooting through my shoulder blades.

"For you all, it was a risk I was more than willing to take." He is about to reply when my mom walks in, Nathan, out of breath and excited behind her. What? Confused I look at Ollie, who has eyes filled with fury.

"What is he doing here?" Ollie asks my mom, but Nathan is oblivious as he runs over to me, looking at me all over, checking me for something.

"Hello," he says and I just lie here, bewildered for a few moments. I'm too happy he is here to say anything, so instead I just smile and take his hand.

"Hey, why are you here?" I ask and he looks puzzle, furrowing his eyebrows and looking around the room. "You left, weren't coming back," I manage, through my tears of happiness, looking around the room to find Ollie, sulking guiltily in the armchair.

"You told her that?" Nathan questions, his voice barely above a whisper. That's when it sets in, the knowledge that Ollie lied to me in an attempt to get me to not want to be with Nathan, to resent him for leaving me.

"I didn't bring you up to tell such hateful lies Oliver," my mom scolds, looking more than disappointed. Nathan just looks hurt, but not more hurt than me. How could my own brother try to lie to me to ruin what makes me happy? Family don't do that.

"How did he even know she was awake?" Ollie asks, hanging his head in what seems like shame but could just be embarrassment.

"I rang him, he deserves to be with Lily just as much as we do," she argues, and my brother looks at her with betrayal in his eyes. He must have trusted her to take his side.

"How could you?" I ask, as Ollie looks to me, desperate for me to reason win him, in some way understand him.

"You're too good for him and he is nothing but a danger to you, I was doing you a favour." I shake my head slowly, grasping Nathan's hand for the support I need to get though this argument and the pain in my head.

"No, you were being a shitty brother, a shitty person." That's when he stands, walks over to me, kisses my sweating forehead and says goodbye, blaming it on Nathan's presence, which on its own makes me want to punch him.

"I should go, you need to be with your family," Nathan comments as Ollie waits by the door, debating whether or not he should go or stay, depending on Nathan's choice.

"No, Nathan should stay, you are a part of this family, my son needs to go and sulk alone for a while until he realises what he's done," my mom refuses, holding Nathan's arm while gesturing for Ollie to get out. I simply wave goodbye as he goes, not wanting to see him right now anyway. I go to kiss Nathan on his lips, for the first time in what seems like years, when a doctor enters, his sheets of papers documenting my current state in his hand, reading through them as he walks through the door Ollie just closed. I blush and Nathan stands back, still holding my hand, as my mother stands on my other side, holding my other hand.