Chapter 18: Never safe

When Nathan left for work, I was left feeling lonely, like I had been in a crowded room before and now I am just alone. Doing what most people do, I take the phone from my pocket and see what there is to do on it, when I recieve a text. Its from an unknown number, a number I cannot see due to it being private.

From Unknown

Tell your boyfriend to give up, or sweetheart, it won't just be him we kill, it will be you too and the longer it takes, the more your family will suffer

It reads and I drop the phone, terrified. Who is it? How do they have my number? Shit, shit, shit, no fuck, fuck, fuck. Suddenly, the doors starts knocking and I scream my loudest, highest shriek.
"Rosie! Are you okay? Open the door!" Ollie shouts and I sigh, running over to open the door. Immediatley, he pushes me inside, checking me over for any signs of injury.
"I'm fine, I was just watching a scary movie when you knocked," I lie, making him relax.
"Oh, why is your phone on the floor?"
"I threw it when it scared me, sorry," I apologise, running over and exit the text message, but I make sure I keep it as evidence on my phone. the next thing I do is contact Nathan.

To Nathan

Hey, listen I know you are at work and I am so sorry but there is an emergency, no one is hurt, I just need you to come home and see something, but please make sure you act normally, Ollie has come back over and he cannot have anything to do with this, love you xxx

I lead Ollie over to the sofa and let him explain how he told Steph what he told me and then she kissed him and they made up completely. Thankfully, Nathan replies seconds later.

From Nathan

I'm coming home right now, if you ever need me, it doesn't matter where I am, tell me and I will be there, no apologies, I love you too babe xxx

I relax a little, just waiting for the door to open and for Nathan to walk in and make everything better like he normally does. This text is just proof that even if we overcome one problem, another will arise and we will never be safe.
The door opens and Nathan walks in, looking tired and concerned.
"Hey mate, you alright?" Ollie asks, tearing his eyes away from the football for three seconds, maximum.
"Yeah, just a tough day, how is everything here?" Nathan asks, purposefully looking at me.
"Good, Rosie watched a horror film and screamed when I knocked the door, I think she's still shaking," Ollie laughs and I laugh along with him, but Nathan does not, he just looks hurt and makes his way over to me, kissing my forehead, so I sneakily give him the phone.
"Aww babe everything will be okay, don't worry, I'm here," he says but only I know the double meaning behind his words. He then leaves, going into the bedroom.
"Calm down, it was just a horror movie," Ollie jokes, forcing me to laugh again. In the nicest way possible, I want him to go and stay with Steph, just so me and Nathan can sort all of this mess out.
"Why are you here?" I ask ollie, and he looks toward me, confused.
"Do you not want to see your big brother after so long?"
"Of course I do, but I'm pretty sure Steph will want to see her boyfriend as well, so why aren't you with her?" He looks down, and I know the situation is serious when he doesn't watch the footie, he talks to me.
"I just wanted to make sure he was, you know, looking after you, but you're right, I should go and be with Steph, when did you get so right about everything?" He hugs me, squeezing me tightly and leaves, smiling at me. All I can do is wave as he leaves and as soon as he is out of sight, I collapse, slumping in a heap on the sofa.

I think through all of the possible things that could happen, what if they get my mom? I wouldn't know, I'm too for away from her. No, I can't let that happen, I think as a stream of tears fall from both of eyes. I sob into my sleeve, crying because I have been so stupid. How could I have gotten myself involved in all of this? Oh yeah, I fell in love. Isn't that always the reason?
"Lily," I hear him sigh as I start to cry harder, coughing as the tears don't stop.
"We'll sort his out, I promise," he says but I shake my head.
"You don't know that, it's not just me anymore, it's my family too," I stutter, not very clearly.
"I know, but we can keep them safe too."
"No you can't, two people can't be in three places or more at once, it's impossible," I explain and start to think more rationally. Then, a plan forms in my head. I stand up and wipe the tears from my cheeks.
"I'll take Ollie home with me," I say and watch Nathan silently evaluate my statement.
"No."
"What? Why?" I ask, slightly pissed off that he said that.
"I don't want you being that far away, I won't be able to protect you," he shrugs, acting as if this entire conversation is unimportant to him.
"This isn't about me or you, it's about my mom and Ollie and they come first, they need protecting more than I do," I argue, getting seriously irritated by him.
"I know you care about your family and believe me, I do too, but my job is to protect you and I can't do that if your miles away," he explains, talking to me like I am four years old.
"At the end of the day, my family are in danger because of me, so it's my job to keep them safe and if that means moving back home for a while, so be it. We'll be safer there anyway," I finish, going to Nathan to get my phone.
"How long will you be gone for?" He whispers and it is clear he has realised that nothing he could have ever said would have changed my mind.
"How long will it take you to find them?" I return and he looks down.
"Anything from days to months," he whispers, not looking me in the eye.
"I'll be gone for as long as I need to," I reply, more harshly than I meant it, taking the phone from Nathan's pocket and asking Ollie if he would drive me home.
"When will you go?" Nathan asks from the doorway, leaning against the doorframe.
"Tonight," I reply and hear a sigh.
"I'll miss you," he mutters and just like that, I'm not annoyed anymore. The reason he didn't want me to go was because he would miss me, and in all honesty, I'm going to miss him too. I make my way over and kiss him, slowly and gently, letting him know that I'm here for him.
"I'll miss you too, I love you," I say and he smiles, kissing my forehead and pulling me into a tight hug.
"I love you too baby."