Chapter 5: Interesting First Day

I wake up and groan at the fact that it's Monday morning. I'm just about to roll over when I realise that today is my first day of work. I look over at the clock and see that it's six, and I have an hour to get ready. I literally jump out of bed, and run to the bathroom, where I shower faster than I ever thought I could. I wrap a towel around me and run back into my bedroom, where I then stand in front of the wardrobe, insulting all of the clothes that I own.
After ten minutes of staring at my clothes, I decide on my long, black pencil skirt, pale orange blouse and my black heels, which my mom bought for me, especially for my first day. After changing, I dry my hair and then straighten it, hoping it will make me look more sophisticated. I then apply my make-up until I look ready to go. I check my phone and see I have a message.

From: Ollie,

Good Luck sis

I smile as I read it. He called me Saturday morning, asking me how the party went. I told him that it was great, but I left out the part where one of Steph's friends punched a man and left him bleeding on the floor. I also didn't tell him that a man I barely knew drove me home, I just thought he might not be happy with me for that.

To: Ollie

Thanks Ollie, I'm going to need it! xx

I reply and put my phone into my bag, before heading out to work.
As I walk, I think back over the events of the weekend. The morning after the party, Steph told me the real reason why James punched the man. Apparently, James was getting drinks for them, so Kelly was dancing with some friends she had in school, but this man started to dance with her and since James didn't like that, he beat they guy up. Steph had found all of this out from Kyle when me and Nathan left. Nathan was the one that pulled James off the man and told him to go home, explaining Nathan's wierd behaviour.
I reach the front doors of the building and look up at the huge sign reading, William White's. I take a deep breath and walk into the incredibly fancy foyer. The walls are all white, and the only things in the room are two black sofas with no one sat on them, and a desk with a woman behind it. The woman looks very young, not much older than me and as I approach her, she smiles at me.
"Hello, how can I help you?" She asks, and I smile.
"My name is Lily-Rose James, I am due to start work here as a paid intern," I say confidently, trying to sound proffessional. She types something into her computer and after a few seconds, she looks up.
"Yes, Mr. White is expecting you today. Follow me to his office where he will explain your entire roll to you," she says, standing up and walking down a corridor. I walk behind her, following her through the many doors before reaching one with William White written on it. She gestures for me to knock and I do so, while she walks away, just leaving me.
"Come in," a deep, older voice sounds, making me jump. I open the door to see an older man at a desk, paper work piled either side of him. "You must be Lily," he says, standing up and offering his hand. I walk over quickly and shake it, saying," yes sir."
"We are delighted to have you here, now, I would like to explain your job a little more and the possibilities from it before I start you working. Firstly, I would just like to say that you will only be working as an intern for a few months before the company decides on whether you will be given a permanent job here or even given a job at all. You will review manuscripts of books and then write a report on each one, and the you will hand it into your supervisor. You will be expected to have these reports in for a certain time and if you are late it will be noted. I'm sure you know the rest of the rules like not being late to work, so I am going to introduce you to one of your collegues, who will show you around." He presses one of the buttons on his phone and calls for Sophie. Then, he stands u and walks over to the door, gesturing for me to follow. When we reach the door, he opens it to see a woman around the same age as me, maybe older, waiting for us.
"Lily, this is Sophie, she is also an intern and she will show you around and help you with anything you may need," he says and when I look at Sophie, she smiles.
"Thank you," I say to both of them and follow Sophie out of the office. She takes me down a few more corridors until we're in a room filled with desks and people sat at the desk. I walk through the middle of the quiet office until she stops at the desk right at the front.
"This is your new desk, I'm a couple of desks over, so if you need anything you can ask me," she says, pointing to her desk. "The people on either side of you are Brian and Tim, and they'll help you as well." She says as the two men wave at me over their maunscripts. "That door there is the canteen and the other door is the toilets. To get out, go through the door we just walked through and follow the corridor all the way to the left and eventually, you will reach the foyer. If you need anything just ask and I'll help as best as I can, I hope we can be good friends," she says and I find it difficult to keep up.
"Thank you and yes I think we can," I reply as she smiles.
"Your supervisor will visit you shortly, and tell you yor deadlines and drop off area," she says before walking to her desk.
I sit down at my own, actually a little bit excited to have my own desk and see that there is a manuscript already on my desk. It has four hundred pages and is called Summer Memories by Jasmine Tale. I put my glasses on and open it and begin to read, enjoying the first few chapters. After about half an hour, a woman walks up to my desk and looks down at me.
"My name is Theresa Mills and I am your supervisor. I would like the manuscripts with the report attached to it given to Karen in meeting room A every thursday as soon as you get into work at seven am," she orders with a stern, authoritive voice.
"Yes ma'am," I stutter and regret it as she walks away, her heels making the loudest noise on he hardwood floor. I begin to read again when the man next to me, Tim, attracts my attention.
"Don't worry about Mills, you'll be fine," he reassures, making me smile.
"Thank you," I reply and begin reading again, hoping to finish it early. At least the people here are nice.

At the end of the day, I walk out with Sophie and Tim, the first two friends I have. When we reached the door, we said our goodbyes and I started my walk home. As I cross the road, I see a man stumble out of a small alleyway but the closer I look, I notice that this isn't just any ordinary man, it's Nathan and he is covered in dirt and blood.
I run over, almost getting hit by a car, and frantically look over him.
"Are you okay? What happened?" I ask but he just looks away turning in the other direction. I follow him, spinning him around by his shoulder.
"I'm fine," he says but I don't believe him. How can he be fine when he has blood all over him?
"No you're not, you've got blood all over you! Let me take you back to mine."
"I said I'm fine," he growls, gritting his teeth.
"I don't care what you said, I'm taking you back to mine, you know I only live over the road," I say and when he sees he stubborn, determined look on my face, he gives in. I walk beside him down the street, trying to ignore the horrified stared of the passers by. I try to focus on helping him as I rush him into the flat and drag him into the bathroom. 
I sit him on the toilet seat and take a cloth out of the cupboard, soaking it in water. I then clean all the blood from his arms, his hands and then his face. As I wipe above his eye, I can feel his breath tickle my cheek and I am suddenly aware of how close we are. I continue to wipe down his cheek and then I reach his lips. I wipe the cloth over them, trying to be unfazed by it. Then, as I look over his face, I see that there are no cuts or broozes, actually there are no marks at all. 
If he hasn't been cut, where has all the blood come from? A sudden fear rises inside of me as I realise that isn't his blood.
"Who's blood is that?" I ask, trying to sound as if that is a normal question that people ask everyday.
"No one's that concerns you," he replies, standing up and walking out.
"I just helped you, I deserve an explanation," I return, following him into the hallway. He stands still for a moment, before sauntering over, closing any gap between us as my bdy is ushed against a wall. And then, he brings his lips to my ear, saying," I didn't ask for your help, and if you are smart, you'll mention this to no one and you'll stay away from me." 
Then, he storms out , he absence of his body leaving me feeling vulnerable and alone. It doesn't feel real, but as I walk back into the bathroom, I see the bloody cloth in the sink and I know that it did happen and despite his warning, I will find my explanation for it all, whether he ikes it or not. 

What do you think of Nathan's character? Do you like him or not?