Chapter 9: Too fast for people (part 2)

Nathan P.O.V

Leaving her alone, cleaning her cuts and nursing her broozes, clueless to the reasons behind her attack, was one of the hardest things I have done, and I have done a lot. When I promised I would answer all of her questions, I was lying and even though I felt guilty for doing it, it was necassary. She cannot be brought into my world, I don't want her to have to deal with more than I have already made her. I feel bad enough as it is with her having to see me kill a man, let alone know the truth about me. She can't know that, no-one can.
I walk towards the warehouses, where I was not long ago, hoping that the rest of the boys would already be there, waiting for me. I called them fifteen minutes ago, telling them I had news and that it was urgent. I know who that man was, he was one of them. I have seen him before, on one of the raids, so seeing him, his fists connecting with Lily's face, I snapped. I hated seeing her like that, helpless and vulnerable, her beautiful face covered in marks, showing just how much he had hurt her, I hated the fact he had hurt her at all.
I walked through the abandoned building, finding the rest of them all in a circle, talking about something irelevent. When they saw, me they rose from their seats, clearly distressed.
"Why have you called us Nathan? What's happened?" James asked, looking bored more than anything. I never liked that fact that he was in charge, and neiher did Kyle. Tyler, Liam and Peter never voiced their opinions on who was in charge, I concluded that they must have been too afraid, something I wasn't. I had never liked the way James had anger issues, causing scenes where they weren't necassary. He drew attention for no reason, but it wouldn't be him that would be implicated, it would be me and Kyle.
"One of Kevin's men, I don't know his name, he attacked Lily tonight on her way home," I explained and Kyle looked furious, eyeing me.
"Is she is okay?" Kyle asked.
"She has a large cut on her head, bruising all over her body, and some cuts over her face but overall, no severe damage. I had to help her and in doing so, I killed him," I added, hoping they would ask no more but of course, James did.
"In front of her?"
"Yes, but I have revealed nothing and she has agreed to say that she was attacked by a random person who ran off, taking nothing from her," I rushed as James threw the table, his face red with anger.
"Fucking hell Nathan! You can't trust her! You have put all of us in danger through your actions, how many is that now? Two in just over a week? We don't want a fight and you are just asking for one," he shouted, spit flying from his mouth. I stood up also, not taking his shit anymore.
"I can trust her! What was I supposed to do? Let him beat her to death? He deserved everything he got," I finished but James just became more annoyed.
"Why does it bother you so much? Why does what happens to her matter so much to you?" At this, I have no answer. Why does she matter so much? She isn't my girlfriend and I barely know her, yet the thought of someone, anyone hurting her just makes my fists clench and my teeth grit together.
"Stay away from her Nathan, she isn't good for you, not right now. You need to focus on what we are doing here, what we are working toward," Tyler says, speaking for the first time. Tyler is one of those people who you can easily like because he barely speaks and when he does, it's noticed.
"He's right, I want you to stay away from her, Nathan, getting involved with her isn't good," James orders and being the leader, I have no choice but to listen to what he says. "Now that everything is cleared up, I want you all to go home and think about how we are going to enter the premises, I still have no idea," James concludes, walking out, leaving his team behind.
"Are you alright?" Kyle asks and I shrug.
"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?"
"I know you better than anyone mate, I can tell when you're angry and you were when you spoke about Lily." I sigh, knowing that lying to Kyle is impossible. He was the one who found me, in the middle of my fight, he was the one who gave me a home, taught me what I should and shoudn't do, helped me find the boys and a job and basically, give me a life I thought was over. He showed me that I could live normally, something I had only dreamed of doing. Then, he did the impossible and he told me about the way out of all of this, the way to actually be normal without acting it, without having to hide anything. That was what I was working for, what I am working for and will not stop working for.