Chapter 16: What....the.....hell?

Nathan's P.O.V.

"You better get down here and explain yourself man, they're gonna kick you out," Kyle whispers into the phone.
"I'm on my way, don't worry about it, I have a good enough reason," I say and continue to run through the woods, away from the sight of the humans. Even though it is three in the morning and there is no one around, you can't take the chance. I'm only doing this because that bastard told the entire team that I put him into intensive care and that I am with Lily. Of course, both of these are true but he didn't inform them of what he did to Lily and Kelly, so I will.
I make it to the building in less than five minutes and meet Kyle by the door.
"What were you playing at man?" Tyler asks, speaking loudly as the second in command, making sure every person around us knows that he is backing up James.
"You can't just put James in hospital, who do you think you are?" Peter asks, on Tyler's side.
"We haven't heard the entire story yet so let's listen," Kyle adds, backing me up. Loyal is one word that describes Kyle completely.
"The only reason James is in that fucking hospital bed is because he beat two girls into within an inch of their fucking lives," I say and watch as they all exchange looks of confusion.
"What two girls?"
"Lily and Kelly," I answer and watch as Kyle stiffens and the other boys judge me.
"Are you sure you're not with Lily?" Peter asks and I nod, not wanting to say anything and ruin it.
"How do we know you're not lying?" Tyler asks and I roll my eyes. What does he think I am?
"Do you really think I would lie about something as sick as this? If you don't believe me, go and look at them yourselves," I say and watch as they all seem to understand.
"We'll have a group discussion about it all when James is fit enough but for now, all work is suspended," Tyler says and we all disperse.
"How is Lily?" Kyle asks in a voice so quiet and low no human would pick it up.
"She lied about it, she told me she was fine, when she isn't. She tried to hide the huge bruises on her face by not looking at me," I reply, my voice in the same tone as his.
"She probably didn't want you to do anything stupid, she was probably trying to protect you the way you protect her," he says, making me feel ashamed. She doesn't have to protect me, it's the other way around. And so I return home to tell her that.

Lily's P.O.V

I wake up alone, the tears dried on my face. He hasn't come home. After the way he stormed out last night, the pure hate in his eyes, the anger radiating from him, I am terrified. I have called him countless times, text him at least ten times with no replies. I am seriously worried, I only managed a couple of hours of sleep because of it. I hope he isn't in trouble. God, I hope he is okay. I quickly call in sick again, not wanting work to get mad at me as well. Thankfully, they tell me they understand and give me the week off, telling me to hand in my report next monday instead. I'm so glad I got my job there.

When I hear the front door, I jump out of bed, forgetting the fact that I am in his t-shirt, which is too big. I wrench the door open and am greeted by Nathan, tyring to shut the door silently. I stand there for a moment, watching as he turns to see me and freezes. He is probably wondering why I am in just his top, even though it looks like a dress over my legs.
I run over, forgetting the pain and jump on him, breathing in his scent, the one I clung to last night. I had my arms around his neck, my legs wrapped around his waist, holding him so tightly, not wanting to let go. Then, after realising what happened, he slowly puts his arms around me, burying his face into my neck, holding me up. We stay there for a while, until I move my head back to look at him. I search for any marks, looking him over and when I see he isn't harmed, I hug him again.
"I missed you so much," I whisper and hear his chuckle.
"I missed you more baby," he admits.
"What happened?" I ask and see him look distressed.
"I don't really know, I just remember going over and seeing him, then he was in the hospital and I was being called for a chat with the guys," he says and I get scared.
"No, please tell me they didn't sack you, oh God did you get arrested? Did they find out about us?" He shushes me, tucking a strand of my hiair behind my ear, smiling crookedly.
"No, I'm fine, James won't tell the police it was me, and even if he does, look at what he did to you. And no, they didn't find out about us, we're safe," he says but I don't hink he understand what he has just said, since I doubt we will ever be safe. Not with a group of vampires after us.
After his welcome home, we sit down and I tell him the details about everything, even Kelly's experience, trusting him not to say anything. Of course he had to tell the team about Kelly's involvement in the attack, but that's all I am letting him tell them, I don't want Kelly to know I have told him so much. I also decided I was going to visit my mom, since I have the rest of the week free.
I will have to come up with a reasonable excuse for my current state, so I decide to tell her I was attacked, since she would not question it. Nathan offered to drive me down, but I declined, not wanting to have to explain him to my mother as I am already lying enough as it is. Plus, if Ollie unexpectedly showed up he would kill Nathan there and then.