Chapter 15: Trying to Be a Hero

Dedicated to argentile for also helping me out so much! This chapter has a lot of violence involved, to do with James, Lily and Kelly so I am so sorry if this is offensive to anyone but it is clear that I am against abuse in every way, thank you xx

Also, thank you so much for over 150 reads and for 21 votes, it means a lot to me, so comment and tell me what you think! xxx 

My eyes opened to the bright sunlight of the morning, and the heat of another body behind me, the arm draped over my torso. I turned my head to see Nathan, sleeping closely to me. I smile slightly, remembering last night. Remembering what he said to me, how he held me, how he promised he would never do anything like that ever again and how I told him I forgave him. I did and still do believe that he was doing it because he had to and I just have to trust that he didn't kiss her, having no proof of it myself. He told me everything else, so why wouldn't he tell me that?

The weight of his arm becomes unbearable and so I am forced to remove it, leaving the warm comfort of the bed.
"Lily?" He asks, suddenly waking from his sleep.
"Yes?" I reply and watch as he needs to adjust his eyes to the morning. I don't think I have ever gotten used to them being so red. He then looks to see me in my pyjamas, close to the bed and him in the bed, wearing nothing but a pair of bottoms. The confusion is written on his face for a moment but then he seems to remember, as his tense features relax and look up to me.
"How are you feeling?"
"Better, thanks to you," I reply, blushing. I have never slept after those nightmares, I was never able to calm myself down enough, but last night I slept peacefully and dreamlessly and it was down to him. I would have had to lie there, thinking things that would make me even more terrified than I was.
"What was...it about?" I stood there for a moment, debating on whether or not he should know. 
"I was dreaming about when my mom found out about my dad's affair and how he treid to take me, that's all, it happens all of the time," I say, leaving out when he ran away with Casey and then I was chased and bitten by my attacker. I don't think he would take that so well. Actually, from the way he looks right now, I don't think he has taken any of it well.
"I am so sorry Lily,  you have no idea how awful I feel, what I did last night-" he starts but I cut him off, placing my hand over his mouth. 
"Is forgotten about, we don't have to talk about it anymore, you explained and I understand. I'm not mad anymore, I'm okay," I try and convince him, but when the sad expression on his face is not removed, I move my hand and from his mouth and replace it with my lips. 
After a few minutes, I pull away," is that enough for you to believe me?" I ask and he nods in reply. 

After we sorted everything out, Nathan left so he could go and make breakfast, one of his ways of making things up to me. I told him there was no need, but he insisted and so now we sit on the sofa, eating a full breakfast again.
"Why aren't you working today?" He asks, placing a peice of bacon in his mouth.
"I called in sick and I was going to go and sort things out with Kelly anyway," I tell him, thinking back to how nicely they both treated me last night and how much I miss them. 
"That's a good idea, I have to work today," he says and we start a conversation about what he will do at work. 
When breakfast is finished, I change into a pair of jeans and a loose shirt, trying to prepare myself for what I will say to Kelly. Nathan drops me off in front of her place on his way into work, another way of making things up. I kiss him as I get out of the car and wave as he drives off, before making my way up the stairs to her flat. 
I stop when I see the number, taking a deep breath as nerves kick. I hope she listens. I go to knock when I hear shouting. The most prominent voice is a man's voice as it is so deep and loud. 
"SHUT UP YOU FUCKING BITCH!" I hear and immedatley know it is James and I need to get in there and help her.
"James, please, I can't move, your hurting me again, please stop it," she cries and I feel so helpless just standing here, listening. 
"I JUST TOLD YOU TO FUCKING SHUT UP! I DON'T GIVE A FUCK IF I'M FUCKING HURTING YOU!" He screams back and I do the only thing I can and I use my foot to bash the door open. I aim for the area next to the handle and with all the force I have, I smash my foot onto it. Thankfully, it opens and I am greeted with a scene that makes me want to be sick. 
Kelly is on the floor, in just her underwear, her face swollen competely, broozes covering almost every part of her skin. James is standing above her, his fist clenched, his face red with anger as it connects with her stomach.
I run over and yank him away from her, punching him straight in the face. The arsehole looks stunned and I use these few seconds of shock to punch him again, but he does not stay that way forever, and so he realises what I am doing and punches me back. I fall to the floor, the blood pouring from my nose. I wipe it away and try to stand back up, but he punches me again and the pain in my face doubles as I can almost see the brooze forming on my eye. 
"Leave her alone!" Kelly cries, trying to pull him away by his arm, but he just throws her onto a table.
"Do you feel better now James? Does it make you good about yorself when you make her cry? Do you enjoy it?" I ask, spitting the blood from my split lip on him. "Does it make you feel like more of a man?" I taunt as he kicks my stomach. I breathe through it and try to stand up.
"You know nothing," he says, hate like liquid pouring from his mouth. Only looking at him makes me sick. 
"I know everything. You're nothing James, you're a pathetic excuse for a human being. Real men don't hit their girlfriends, make them feel like shit and they don't fucking beat them up when they feel like it then make them believe they love them when really all they want is a fucking punching bag." He punches me in the face again.
"Fuck you," he says, so I punch him back.
"You're a waste of space and Kelly deserves so much better, you deserve to rot in hell with all of the other sick bastards who do what you do," I say and earn myself another hit but the difference is that this one causes everything to go black.