Chapter 21: Are we done?

Lily's P.O.V.

I'm awake, I know I am because I can hear everything, from the footsteps of people in my room to the beeping of machines surrounding me. The only problem is I cannot gather the strength to open my tired eyes and my body is to weak to move. The pain is still there, but it is more like a dull ache and it means I cannot wake from this sleep.

"Oh sweetie, look at you," I hear and know instantly who the voice belongs to. My mom then strokes my face, pushing hair from it and I feel a wet mark on my arm. At least I don't have to see her cry.

"The doctor says she's stable, that she will wake up soon, they just can't give a time when," Nathan adds and the familiar ache in my chest returns. I have been forced to listen to him cry over me, apologise over and over and I haven't been able to say anything back, not even squeeze his hand when he holds mine. I feel awful, because none of this is his fault, it's mine and he shouldn't feel that way but he does.

"Thank you Nathan, I don't know what we would have done without you." I'm thankful my mom shares my perspective, that she sees who the hero is here. "Lily, you're such a silly girl, brave, strong but still stupid," she jokes, but suddenly, there is the sound of a door bursting open, heavy footsteps and deep breathing.

"Lily, oh my God, Lily," a deep, masculine voice whispers and it is clear that my brother is the last to enter. He gets closer, until his hand is laced over the top of mine, and he is talking to me, softly.

"Hey Rosie," I wish I could reply, but instead I settle for just listening to them.

"Do you want to tell me what the hell happened to her this time? I thought you said you wouldn't let her get hurt again? Care to explain?" His hand is ripped from mine and the venom laced in his words makes me fearful of the next events.

"Let her get hurt again? This has happened before?" In my head I am slapping Ollie for saying that and praying to god that Nathan can deal with this, can take the questions and accusations.

"Tell me what happened to her!!" Ollie shouts, causing me to feel so guilty, all of this is my fault and Nathan is getting the blame.

"A few months ago, when I had barely even met her, I found her in the street after she was mugged by an unknown attacker, I was never able to find out who. Then, there was an argument between her and her new friends, and being the caring, honest woman she is, she went to her house, to sort everything out. She walked in on her friend being abused by her boyfriend, so she tried to help. He beat them both, and when Lily came home, she tried to hide it from me. The man who did it when to hospital, in intensive care for a while.

For weeks me and my team have been targeting a group of men, criminals, known for doing this type of thing. Then, they had somehow discovered my relationship with Lily, and so they used her to get to me. They threatened her family, meaning all of the people here, if she didn't agree to what they said. She called me, after work, and when I answered there was no reply to my hello. Then, I realised she had called me to listen in on their conversation, and so I did. I gathered my men and we left for her, but I was to late, as you can see. I am so sorry, I promised I would keep Lily safe and I didn't, I put her in more danger, and for that I don't expect to be forgiven. But if I could spend the rest of my life making it up to her," he says and if my eyes were open, I would be crying. The room is silent for a while, only the sounds of the beeping machines fill the tense atmosphere. How can he be so blind? It was my choice to go there, it was my decision and nobody would have changed my mind, not even Nathan.

"This isn't your fault Nathan, Lily would be telling you that. All of the decisions that brought her here were made by Lily, and so if anyone is to blame it's her, not you. You're the reason why she's getting help, why she's getting better. You've done a lot for this family, and I would never ask for more. Thank you," my mom says, breaking the silence. Every word she said is true, but I know Nathan the way she knows me, and I know he will not believe it.