Chapter 27

Recap:

"I'm Alicia Chesley."
~
"...you met Alicia and went to grab a coffee with her?"
~
"I was wondering...if you would like to stay at a really nice hotel tomorrow night"
~
"I got nothing to tell you, because nothing happened yesterday. Not what you think happened, anyway."

"What are you talking about. I know Mona better than anybody. She always moves on on the second date."

"Well then that must make me the exception to her rule".
~

Charis' P.O.V.

Twenty three dresses and outfits were laying all around my bedroom, after I couldn't decide what to wear to meet Johnny. Sure, it would be just the two of us, so I could keep it casual, but then again, he had talked about making our relationship "official", so perhaps I should be dressed more elegantly. I sighed, and cursed slightly Mona for not coming over to help me. Apparently she had a last minute date with Louis.

I paused in front of the mirror, only in my underwear, to think about that. This was their third date, but I already knew the second one couldn't have gone very well. I was happy that it looked like it was getting serious, but a bit nervous at the same time. Suddenly, I realized that I hadn't thought this through. Let's say they do get serious, my two best friends. What if they break up later? Will I have to pick sides? Will I have to loose one of them?

I groaned, and wished there never was a third date. If the second one was bad, why would Louis propose a third one? And why would Mona accept? But the idea that it still could fall apart, and it wouldn't be so serious calmed me down. Maybe something happened today, but in a way that they apart in good terms. Yes, that's good... Let it be that!

My reflection on the mirror caught my eye. I had an wicked smile on my face. It disgusted me. I shook my head abruptly. This isn't me!, I thought. When did I become the kind of person who wishes ill for others?... And who keeps meaningless secrets from her boyfriend? I have to put an end in all of these.

And with that thought, I picked up the very first dress I had tried on, and got ready. After all, you can never go wrong with a little black dress, right?

Not a long time passed, and Johnny came knocking on my door. I ran and opened.

"Wow..." he mumbled, checking me out and making me blush. "You are magnificent, my love!"

He leaned in for a kissed, but I put my fingers on his lips to stop him.

"Look Johnny, there is something that has been troubling me these past two days. It's nothing, it's stupid. But I don't feel comfortable not saying it. And I wanted to finally put it all out there, so that we can start our night, and with that, our relationship, clean" I said avoiding eye contact.

Johnny cleared his throat, and after a long enough silence, said: "Okay. What is it?"

I finally raised my head and looked at him. He was pale and breathing quickly. "I don't know if you've heard about it, but they finally decided on an actress to voice Betty." I narrowed my eyes trying to remember the name, because that one didn't sound right. "Or Debbie? Bebe?" I sighed. "I don't know, that big fat pink monster anyway."

"Right. With the glasses."

"Yes, that's the one. So, yeah... What I wanted to say is-"

"Debbie", he interrupted me.

"What?"

"The name of the monster; Debbie."

For a few seconds I just started in his eyes in disbelief. That's what he fixated on?