Chapter Six: Short Lived

♢♡Ryan♡♢

I open the door and step out, nearly running into someone. "Ah! King Ryan!" This man is nearly as tall as Luke, short brown-blonde hair and thin lips stretched further into a smile. His black eyes gleam with a terrifying intelligence as I clear my throat and step back. "J-Just call me Ryan, please" I squeak.

"Yes, Ryan. Right this way, Luke's waiting for you. My name is Tyler" The guard grins, shaking my hand. "Have you been standing out here this entire time?" I ask as I walk with Tyler towards the staircase. "Why yes, I'm meant to guard you. I do take shift with Bryce, though" Tyler explains.

"So how did Mini get into my room?" I ask, that guy was cocky but not I-just-avoided-a-guard cocky. Tyler blushes and clears his throat, trotting down the stairs with me. "I don't know what you're talking about" He says flatly as we finally reach the bottom of the stairs. I smirk and Tyler leads me back into the throne room.

Only now I notice there are no guards here, but I doubt Luke needs much protection as he lounges in his throne. But, someone is on the floor with his hands bound behind his back with flaming ropes as he cries in pain. "Maybe now wasn't just in time" Tyler breathes as my eyes widen and my hands shake at my sides.

"You thought you could steal from me?" Luke asks, sounding bored. The man let's out a sob as a response. Luke stands up, but he doesn't see me, before he starts pacing in front of the man on the floor. "It's a shame really- I thought I could trust you" I swallow hard and Tyler grabs my shoulder, tugging on it to get me out but my feet are frozen.

"I hate to do this, you know that" Luke sighs, flicking right between the man's eyes. The man falls back with a hole in his head right where Luke had flicked him. Blood bubbles from the wound as I feel bile rise up in my throat, fear rolling over me. Luke looks up and his eyes widen before his jaw falls. "Ryan, you weren't supposed to see that"

I turn and bolt back to the bedroom, both Luke and Tyler chasing after me. Despite them being demons, I had a head start and playing with the servant children has made me fast and tricky. I get to the room first and slam the bedroom door shut, locking it before running into the closet and hiding there. I'm small enough to fit through a gap in the wire shelves and hide behind them, trying to calm my breathing as I curl up and grab my hair.

The door blasts open, making me whimper. It was pretty dumb of me to think the king of demons would be stopped by a locked door in his own home. I gulp and curl up tighter, wrapping my arms arms round my knees. "Ryan?" Luke calls out softly, his footsteps moving further away from the closet.

I gulp, I know I can't hide here forever. I feel like a child, a stupid, scared child. But what would you expect me to do when I just saw my.. my husband kill a man without mercy? The relief of meeting Mini and Tyler fades away, unfairly short-lived.