Chapter Twenty-three

I don't really know where I was going with this chapter, I wrote the vast majority of it last night at like 7 am, I still count it as night because I hadn't went to sleep yet. So if you guys think it sucks I blame it on that, haha. I do understand that Dulles to Mckinley is about 2 and half hours but we're going to pretend it's only like forty-five minutes.

I climb into the cab once after landing at Dulles International, and collecting my duffel bag from the baggage claim. The driver smiles at me in the rearview.

"Where do you need to go, Beautiful?" He asks, I feel my face turning red under my pale skin so I look away out the window.

"Mckinley," I answer robotically, after a moment I add, "The cemetery at the Methodist Church."

He nods, and begins the drive, it's quite a drive actually forty-five minutes I decide to use my time to reflect.

I probably shouldn't have just left the way I did, but this is something that I need to do, for me. I haven't exactly ruled out going back, I would love to stay there, it's always been home. But I don't care for being forced into anything. No matter how safe and kind natured it may be, a cage is still a cage. I didn't go to the Cemetery after my mom's funeral with everyone else, I wouldn't even walk over to the casket. Nana Buggy, my grandmother on my mother's side, made it very known that she thought for sure I'd lost my place in Heaven. I've hated myself for that for a while, I know exactly where her grave is, it's right beside Theo's and that is a Funeral I attended all the way through.

Once we got there it was night time already, a full moon shimmered over the small town of McKinley. I paid the man climbing out of the Taxi in front of the church, it was probably the first time a Taxi has been in McKinley in years, and began walking I made my way to a convince store walking in, I bought a pack of cigarettes and a lighter, which I'm sure I'll hate myself for later. As I was walking out of the store my phone started buzzing for the thirty-second time since I got off the plane, I fished it out of my pocket answering it, Christian was calling me off WIFI.

"Hello?"

"I'm on my fucking way to McKinley right now." Christian seethed, "We're landing soon, I understand that you felt that this was something that you needed to do, but it would have been nice to have been told."

"Christian. This is something I need to do on my own." I point out panicked that he's coming here, I need to be alone, I need to think and he's so distracting. In a good way.

"No, Anastasia." He snaps simply, "First of all the plane will be landing in McKinley in five minutes, second, I'll be damned if I'm going to leave you all alone on the same side of the country as the man who... did what he did"

I froze. That thought hadn't even crossed through my mind for a second. I looked around quickly realizing I was just across the street of the only hotel in town, it wasn't even a hotel it was a Bed and Breakfast. I ran across the street, making my way through the walkway to the door, stopping at the door to finish my conversation before walking inside. I've never liked walking into to a hotel or anything on my phone, Ray always told me it was rude.

"Fine," I snapped, "I'm staying at the Bed and Breakfast. When are you going to be here?"

"Twenty minutes' tops." He said simply, "Get inside I'll be there soon."

He hung up.

I walked inside and paid for a room, took my bag upstairs and realized that if I don't go outside right now, I'm not going to get to smoke one of these until I can catch another time that I'm not with Christian. And somehow, I feel like no matter what he says, that's not going to happen. I walk back downstairs, and stand facing the sidewalk to make sure Christian doesn't catch me. I mean old enough to buy them but there is age where people stop becoming disappointed in you for making decisions like this one.