✔︎one; voices in my head

-•-•-

"Hey, Amelia, I'm going to Rousseau's. Want anything?" Remi asked her aunt, who had her head buried in a mountain of paperwork. 

"No thanks, sweetie. Have fun though," the woman replied, still scribbling down various notes and flipping to a new piece of paper. Remi turned around and headed for the front door of their apartment. It was quite spacious, containing 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a kitchen, and a living room. "Oh wait! Before you go, I just wanted to let you know that I might not be here tonight. I just got pulled in for a double shift so make sure to bring home dinner for yourself, okay?" Amelia blurted out right as Remi reached for the doorknob. 

"Alright. See you tomorrow then," Remi said and sent her a quick smile, rushing out of the apartment.

Remi walked briskly across the street, fidgeting with her wallet as she opened up the door to Rousseau's. She was greeted with Marcel sitting in his usual seat at the bar, with a few men standing around him. He had known the girl since she was just a baby, and was in fact a close friend of her mother.

"Hey, Marcel," she said, approaching him with a few notebooks and pencils in hand. 

"Remi, hey! What's up, kiddo?" he said, surprised to see her so early in the day. 

"Nothing much. Amelia's pretty busy so I thought I would let her work in peace," Remi replied and chuckled softly, walking over to the small seating area which was eerily quiet today. "I also have a bunch of homework to finish."

Marcel turned around, looking at the girl who was twirling a pencil in her hand as she completed her math homework. Remi was innocent, she still had a chance to be normal, a chance to stay uninvolved with the supernatural community. That was something her mother never had the chance to do, and the poor woman suffered the consequences immensely. 

Just as Marcel turned forward again and signaled at the bartender for a refill, a broad-shouldered man walked in and took a seat next to him. He was dressed in a dapper navy blue suit and let his hands rest confidently at his sides. Marcel didn't even notice the man until he sat down next to him. 

"Marcellus, fancy seeing you here," he spoke. 

Marcel turned his head ever so slightly. "Elijah. What do you want?" he sighed, putting his drink down and turning to face Elijah fully. 

"Why must there always be a motive for a friendly visit? Can I not stop by to chat simply for old times sake?" Elijah asked, his eyebrows raising ever so slightly.

"It's always something with the Mikaelsons. I've learned that from three centuries of experience," Marcel replied. He was clearly annoyed.

"Well if you must-" but before Elijah could finish, he was cut off by the sound of a sudden electric buzz, of sorts. Both he and Marcel turned around to see Remi drop her pencil swiftly and stare down at her hands as she winced. The girl had a look of fear in her eyes, but covered it up as soon as she saw Marcel's watchful eyes scanning her.

"You okay?" Marcel asked, concern evident in his voice. It had sounded like someone was just electrocuted.

"Yeah... I-I'm fine, Marcel," Remi replied with a hint of uncertainty, and picked her pencil back up. When no spark emitted from it, she continued with her homework like nothing happened.

"Who is that?" Elijah asked Marcel, curious to why he knew her.

"That's Remi. She's off limits to you and your entire family, Elijah. Don't even think about doing anything," Marcel snarled, dark veins appearing from beneath his eyes, and Elijah suddenly became even more intrigued.