✔︎two; bye bye

-•-•-

Remi sighed as her alarm clock buzzed violently on her bedside table, indicating that it was 8:30am and time to - unfortunately - wake up. She slowly slithered out of her sheets and walked over to her closet, pulling out a random navy blue t-shirt and black shorts.

The girl made her way into the kitchen and was immediately noticed by her aunt Amelia who had just gotten home from work, dark circles adorning her sunken eyes. "Remi, you're awake! Here, I made you some breakfast," she stated and handed her a plate of scrambled eggs and turkey bacon.

"Thanks, Amelia," Remi said drowsily as she sent her aunt a warm smile.

"So, did you do anything fun while I was gone yesterday?" Amelia asked as she took a sip of coffee.

Remi inwardly debated whether or not she should tell her aunt what happened. She had always been truthful with Amelia, so she decided that lying was probably a useless thing to do. "Well, um..." Remi started, but found it hard to push the words out of her mouth.

"Hey, you ok? You can talk to me you know, about anything," Amelia looked at Remi worriedly and placed  a hand on her nieces shoulder.

Remi sighed and looked into her aunts eyes deeply. "I was just doing my homework in Rousseau's with Marcel, but then... then I felt something shock my fingers. I don't know how to explain it. It was kind of like when you rub your feet on a carpet and then touch someone, like an electric shock. But that was it and I was fine for the next few minutes or so. Then I started to get a headache, but it was worse than anything else I've ever felt before. I get them sometimes, but this one was different. There were all these voices in my head... but I couldn't make out what they were saying, so I just tried to ignore it. They kept getting louder and louder until it felt my ears were going to implode... and then I fainted," Remi explained and looked down at the floor.

"Remi, why didn't you tell me this sooner?!" Amelia shouted, stressfully rubbing her hands down her face.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry, aunt Amelia. Marcel brought me to his friends, and one of them is a witch. She said that she may know what caused it, but then I got scared and left," Remi replied, feeling guilty for not telling her aunt sooner.

Amelia sighed. "Remi... I need to tell you something, something you probably won't like," she started, and Remi looked at her confusedly. "It's about your mom, and how she died," Amelia continued, diverting her eyes from Remi's. The girl sat up straight and started fidgeting with her thumbs. "Your mom was an avid member of the supernatural community, which is how she got to know Marcel, as you know," the older woman said, and Remi nodded. That was all she really knew about her mom, that she was supposed to be some 'avid member of the supernatural community,' whatever that meant.

"Your mom was very powerful, and very respected. She was a natural born witch, and the magic that runs in our family was passed down to her when she was born, instead of being distributed to both of us. Our mother, your grandmother, was the high priestess of a very powerful underground coven. When your grandmother died, that title was given to your mom," Amelia continued, and Remi stared at her with widened eyes. Her mind was running at a million miles per minute.

"That role gave her access to thousands of years of ancestral magic. Once she started to gain all of that power, the other covens across New Orleans became jealous, and wanted her to distribute all of the power evenly amongst the other witches. Your mom feared what they would do with all of that magic, so she refused. The other witches resented that deeply. They all formed an alliance and channeled every dark object that could be found in New Orleans... and they attacked," Amelia's voice cracked and she shut her eyes for a moment. Remi's bottom lip trembled; it was as if all of the pain that her mom's death brought was rushing back to her.