fourteen; nightmare pt.2

-•-•-

"I think she's asleep," Freya whispered as they all walked softly into the hallway. 

Marcel appeared in front of them within minutes. "Hey I got your texts, what's up?" he asked, looking around at the four Mikaelsons in front of him. 

"It appears Remi's been having some nightmares regarding Amelia's death and the witches," Klaus answered remorsefully, still in a hushed tone.

"And why do you think that is, Klaus? You let the witches kill an innocent woman, and almost kill that innocent woman's niece. You go around acting like you're the only one who matters but look in that room," Marcel said and gestured towards Remi's room. "Your actions affect her now, Klaus," he finished.

"You think I don't know that? I had no idea who she or her family was before I allowed the witches to kill her. I'm trying to make up for what I did, Marcel. I know what it's like to mourn someone. She shouldn't have to suffer any further," Klaus said back, and Marcel nodded.

"Here's a tip of advice. Just tell her that. Tell her that she's not alone; that's all anyone wants to know, especially a kid. There's no magic word to make her stop missing her aunt and her mother. Just be there for her," Marcel concluded as the rest of the Mikaelsons listened on.

The four Mikaelsons walked cautiously back into Remi's room to see that she was still apparently sleeping peacefully, while Marcel decided to stay in the hallway. They sat back down into their scattered seats and remained silent, wanting to let Remi catch up on as much sleep as she could. 

-•-•-

Meanwhile, Sawyer had just arrived back home with his parents. "Why did you have to say that about the Mikaelsons, mom?" he said, frustrated with his mom about the conversation she had with his former hosts.

"I don't know what you're talking about, dear. All I said was that if they couldn't handle her, to let me know. What's so wrong about that?" Mary-Louise responded.

"What's wrong is that Remi really likes staying there. She finally has a good thing in her life after everything that's happened to her. Please, just let her be happy," He says defensively.

"What baffles me is that you still stand here and defend 1,000 year old immortal vampires! Have we not raised you right? We're supposed to fear monsters, not want to be their friends! I only hope Remi realizes that soon enough before she gets caught up their messes," She spits back, not even attempting to acknowledge her son's position.

"But we are monsters, mom! We're werewolves! What makes us better than them? They took in Remi when she needed them the most. That's something that not even you both did... you didn't even offer to let her stay with us when her mom died. We were eight years old and you just let her be thrown to her aunt who had a full time job and barely any time to watch her. She was alone, mom! All alone. And now you want to rip her away from another source of happiness! I won't let you do that to her. Not again," Sawyer finished, slamming his bedroom door in anger. He just wanted to see his best friend be happy for once.

-•-•-

A few hours passed and Remi eventually woke up as the crisp winter breeze crept in through her balcony, which she had left open from earlier. She sat up, nervous to see if they had left her side. To her surprise, the Mikaelsons hadn't left. They looked up to see that Remi had the smallest hint of a smile on her face.