thirty-five; 'happy home-day'

-•-•-

The word 'home' is a fickle little thing.

For some, a home is kicking their feet up after a long day, and taking a swig of their favorite whisky. For others, it's the sight of happy kids giggling and chasing after each other down the block, gusts of spring air rustling a few cherry blossom trees. For Remi Moore, home had never been something that held positive connotations. Her first home, the small cottage she used to live in with her mother, was a bitter memory of the past. Her aunt's blood had stained her second chance of having a home, and so did the haunting vision of her broken neck. For a while, the teen had convinced herself that, perhaps, a home just wasn't something she was destined to have.

But now, in this very moment, as the hazel-eyed brunette pushed her throbbing head off of a pillow, she realized how wrong she had been. Remi sat up, sluggishly scanning the room she was in; it didn't take her very long to recognize the antique wallpaper and matching lamps. There, in that same dark orange-tinted bedroom that she had been stationed in for several months, is where that feeling came back.

Her bare feet padded down the hallway, an innocent, small smile on her paled face. She had taken all of this for granted - the small cracks in the walls that showed the abattoir's real age, the cast-iron handrails that lead downstairs, all of it.

At the base of the staircase, Remi stopped in her tracks, her eyebrows suddenly knitting together. In front of her, stood ten people - twenty eyes, all drifting toward her. On the arch of the abattoir's entrance was a sign. It wasn't very intricate, no, but looking at it forced tears into Remi's eyes.

It's chalky white background enveloped three painted-black words: "Happy Home-Day!"

There stood Klaus, Rebekah and Freya, all grinning from ear-to-ear. Elijah and Hayley were a few feet away, looking on with humbled expressions. Marcel and Cami were huddled around a small table of food and drink, chuckling loudly; and Remi saw who she assumed were Kol and Davina, waving from afar.

"W-what's going on, guys?" the teen chuckled as her brown locks swayed along her shoulders.

"We missed your birthday, so we thought celebrating the next best thing was in order. Welcome home, love," Klaus mumbled, clearing his throat of any emotion that would show his feelings. He was still the evil, murderous hybrid, after all . . . but he wasn't fooling anyone. He had missed Remi just as much as the next person.

Remi bit the corner of her lip, an embarrassed smile overcoming her face. "You do know the phrase 'welcome home' exists, right?"

Elijah moved to speak, but shook his head with a laugh. "It seemed appropriate at the time."

"No, no, I . . . I love it. I love all of you - thank you," the teen struggled to blurt out. It felt so strange to finally be home, amongst safe faces.

As groups began to intertwine and mingle amongst each other, reacquainting with old friends, Klaus subtly pulled something out of his pocket, holding it up for Remi to see. It was the 'M' protection necklace that she had hastily pulled off of her neck last night. Rebekah caught sight of it, and before anyone else could notice, she spoke.

"Uh, I-I think we need more refreshments. Anyone want to help?" Rebekah stated, but not before sending a warm smile to the girl, which she softly reciprocated. Remi figured that Klaus and Rebekah would want to talk about the previous night's events, and the circumstances that led to it. None of them knew what had happened, and the teen kind of wanted to keep it that way; but she should have known better.