( holiday/100k special )

as a present to you all, I've speed-written a little something for those who miss remikaelson (hated that). this won't affect the plot in any way, but I hope you guys enjoy a little filler chapter for the time being. chapter 31 is just around the corner. <3

-•-•-

"Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the compound not a creature was stirring, not even Klaus. The stockings were hung by the grimoires with care, in hopes that Saint Nicholas would soon be there. The originals were nestled all snug in their beds, while visions of arteries danced in their heads. And Freya her 'kerchief, and 'Lijah his hat, had just settled their brains for a long winter's nap. When down in the courtyard there arose such a clatter, they sprang from their beds to see what was the matter. Away to the stairs they flew like a flash--"

"I think I need a lobotomy," Klaus muttered with his head placed in his hands, as Remi sent him a pointed look.

"Hey - shut up, Klaus! That was a clever play on words - it took me like twenty minutes to think of," the girl replied. Her creamy hazel eyes glistened under the white Christmas lights that were scattered around the abattoir. The holiday spirit was certainly in the air.

"I enjoyed it, despite the fact I wasn't mentioned," Kol butted in, gently nudging the teen's shoulder.

"Well, I was getting there before Klaus so rudely interrupted me . . ." she teasingly drawled, eyeing the hybrid.

"Yes, how dare you, Niklaus? We were just getting to the good bit," Elijah said, though no one could really tell if he was being serious or not. A amused smirk danced on his face, and his chocolate brown eyes glanced at his younger brother.

Klaus' hands raised in mock surrender, and a chuckle escaped his lips. "Fine, fine, continue."

"As I was saying . . ." Remi cleared her throat, and resumed where she left off. 

The family continued listening, occasionally bursting out into laughter every now again at the mention of 'Santa Klaus,' which consistently earned a displeased glare from the man himself. The night drew to a close, with swift evening breezes finding their way into the compound. Minutes turned into hours, and it seemed like time began to pass freely - neither fast nor slow, steady nor stagnant. It was one of the rare moments in which they just existed. Enemies' vendettas were paused, feuds built up over hundreds of years simply put on hold. 

In a country, in a state, in a city, on a street, in a house, sat a family with a hell of a lot of issues, but a family nonetheless. And the youngest and newest addition to that family, a wide-eyed witch-girl, smiled more than she ever had before.

Remi hopped up onto the couch where Klaus and Elijah sat, their arms resting on the cushioned sides. "Was there such a thing as Christmas when you guys were kids?"

Klaus nodded. "Of course, but it wasn't nearly as festive as it is now. It was more of a chore than anything."

"Most children in our village dreaded Christmas, since it was preceded by a month of fasting. Because of our mother's status as a witch, we weren't quite a religious family. We did celebrate the holiday as to not draw any attention to ourselves, but quite frankly I much prefer today's standards of it. It's much more . . . mild; more family-oriented," Elijah explained as Remi listened intently.

"So, people fasted for a month? Did anyone die?"

"Oh yes, tons - unfortunately, it was mostly younger kids. Ironically, it was quite a depressing time of year," Rebekah replied.

"Wow, that must've been awful," Remi stated. 

Kol shrugged. "The eleventh century was a pretty wild time. A few Christmas deaths here and there weren't that bad, in all honestly," he said nonchalantly, in famous Kol fashion.