twenty-six; hurts like hell

-•-•-

Remi let her eyes float to the ceiling, just watching as the fan spun in constant circles. She appreciated that about the fan; it's consistency. It was something that she never had as a child, and still didn't quite have as a growing teenager. When she was younger, specifically in the months following her mother's death, she had always wished that a miracle would happen to her, that someone or something would swoop in and everything would be okay, that she could feel human again. But that never did happen. She was forced to endure every bit of anguish, every bit of heart-shattering sadness that was inflicted upon her after her life was uprooted. But fast-forward twelve years, and in a sense, people did swoop in and change her life. And those people were the Mikaelsons. They gave her a second chance at feeling human again, at feeling like she had hope for a future. They became her saviors.

So as Remi stared up at the wicker ceiling fan, she didn't think of the bad things that could possibly happen to her by venturing off with her father. She thought of the good things that had brought her to be able to make that fateful choice. She didn't know what the future held, but she was ready to tackle what it would bring. 

The girl didn't get much sleep that night, but how could she? She was about to do the scariest thing so far in her sixteen years of life: face the unknown, face her father. Instead of sleeping, she sighed and sat up out of bed, walking over to the mahogany desk on the opposite side of the room. She hastily rummaged through the drawers and pulled out a few pieces of looseleaf paper and a blue fountain-pen. As she thought long and hard about what she wanted to say to the people that had changed her life, she felt her heart flutter erratically. She connected the pen to the paper, and began writing.

-•-•-

Klaus had walked back downstairs after sitting in front of Remi's door for almost an hour, just listening to her steady heartbeat to make sure she was safe. He walked over to the cart of alcohol and poured a glass of finely aged whisky, downing it with one gulp. The burn did almost nothing to rid him of his paranoia about letting Remi go with her father, but it was something.

As he leaned against a wall near the entrance of the abattoir, Elijah strutted in and noticed his brother holding the bottle of alcohol. He stuffed his hands into his suit pockets and moved to lean against the wall beside him.

"I take it you're not quite keen on letting Remi go off on her own for the first time," he observed, taking the bottle of whisky and pouring himself a glass.

"Not in the slightest," Klaus admitted, placing the bottle back on the cart.

"Neither am I, Niklaus," Elijah agreed, regaining his loose stance beside his brother. "Although I doubt this was an easy decision for her to make."

"I just hope that we can trust that human scum to protect her," Klaus stated. Even the thought of Armand DeMarco infuriated Klaus. He hated the way the man just arrived in their city and felt he could instantly bond with the girl he had abandoned nearly seventeen years ago. Remi meant so much to the Mikaelsons, and Klaus thought that she deserved a better childhood than what she was given; something that he related closely with. She deserved a father that wouldn't just pop up when it was convenient for him.

"I don't trust the man anymore than you," Elijah trailed off. "But all we can do is give them a chance." Truth be told, Elijah felt the exact same way that Klaus did. His instincts were telling him to rip Remi's father's head clean off, but that wouldn't solve anything. It would only be taking yet another family member away from the young girl, and he couldn't bare to do that to her. "It's our only option."