eighteen; the life and death of innocence

-•-•-

They all stared in silence for a long moment before Sawyer spoke up. "And there's no way around it?" he asked with a hint of disappointment.

Freya shook her head. "I'm afraid not. This spell was already a long shot, but I guess we'll just have to keep looking," she said and they all started to walk back inside the abattoir.

"No," Marie blurted out suddenly. "We've come so far to just delay this again. We're so damn close to finding and killing this psycho," she said.

"I know, and I feel the same way, but we can't just go out and kill an innocent witch, especially since they're--," Freya explained but was cut off as they gathered around in the courtyard.

"What I'm trying to say is that we don't need to go out and kill a random witch. We already have one... me," Marie responded with a sad smile. Everyone in the room abruptly turned to face Marie with bulging eyes.

"What?" Remi exclaimed and seemed confused.

"Marie, thats preposterous," Rebekah replied, shocked.

"Absolutely not. You are not going to sacrifice your life for a woman who has already taken too many," Elijah tried to reason, but Marie wouldn't budge.

"I know what I'm doing. I've dedicated most of my adult life to trying to find Elizabeth, it only seems reasonable that I live and die for the cause," Marie replied and looked at everyone in the room.

"Marie..." Freya tried to reply back but seemed tongue-tied.

"It's ok, really. Let's get me hooked up," Marie said and shrugged her shoulders, trying to change the topic.

Freya nodded solemnly, guiding Marie up to a guest bedroom and grabbing an IV needle and large jug along the way. Everyone knew what that meant. The spell needed a full 5.5 liters of human blood.

"Alright. Lets get this show on the road," Marie said and walked up the stairs behind Freya, leaving everyone with a small wave and sad smile before entering the guest bedroom for the first and last time.

-•-•-

Two hours later and Niklaus, Elijah, Rebekah, Remi, and Sawyer were scattered across the courtyard, leaving Freya to stay with Marie while, slowly but surely, every last drop of blood would be drained from her body. The silence was deafening. 

"Should we go up there?" Remi asked, not knowing what to do in this particular situation.

Klaus shook his head. "I think it's best we stay here. I for one am bored. Anyone care to head to Rousseau's until this dreadful process is over?" Klaus asked with an obviously bored voice.

"Nice one, Klaus," Remi rolled her eyes and sunk further into the sofa.

"Niklaus, a girl just gave up her life to save wolves who descend from your pack. Have you no compassion for her?" Elijah asked, but still rather not surprised as to his brother's attitude. 

"Of course I do, but after all it was her decision. I would have been perfectly fine with heading into town and grabbing a witchy afternoon snack. In fact, I might just go and get one now," Klaus replied devilishly and sped off out of the abattoir.

"What a bloody idiot," Rebekah said and shook her head.

-•-•-

Around five hours into the waiting game is when Freya emerged from the room and descended from the stairs. Everyone, including Klaus, rushed over to her and she just shook her head 'not now'. A person had just given up their life for the hopefully safe return of a werewolf pack. Elizabeth Petersé was going to get what was coming to her.